Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: "Morphing" Karambit on Kickstarter

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I may pick up a second one at that price to turn into a trainer.
    The blade is just held on by two screws, so replacing it with a shaped piece of Delrin plastic would be a breeze.
    Jody, how secure are those two screws, in your opinion?

I'm not planning on taking down a mastadon with it, but I'd rather not drop two bills on something that will work lose.

Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Jody, how secure are those two screws, in your opinion?

I'm not planning on taking down a mastadon with it, but I'd rather not drop two bills on something that will work lose.

Thanks very much.
    The design seems plenty strong, probably as strong or stronger than the single pivot screw on a regular folding knife.
    All four screws secure the pivot bearings the same as most traditional folders do.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Excellent, thank you for your observations.

I've been playing with the Provoke as much as my tennis elbow will let me.
    It's a damn fine "strikers knife", especially if you've done any Muay Thai.

You can use it as a knuckle duster with right cross, or deploy the blade and have a wicked cutting right hook. Using an elbow strike to cut someone takes on a whole other meaning when you add in a Karambit.
    It is to ranged striking what the Clinch Pick is to grappling, a force multiplier.

Downsides, it requires two hands to close safely and it's right handed only.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

By "right hand only" I'm talking about using the pocket clip.
    The knife can be opened and used by either hand.

And the reason I specified Muay Thai is the hand position, striking combinations and angles work extremely well with the Karambit blade orientation.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-13-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Quick point of interest on these: the one I ordered in Jan (Amazon) was perpetually marked "Arriving by March 13th," then "arriving by Wednesday," and finally "arriving by tomorrow at 8pm." I found that interesting, since there was no ship notification. Today, I get an email from Amazon saying that I needed to approve my order, since there is a delay, which I did. The next step seemed to be a quick call to CRKT to see what the scuttlebutt on these was, so I called and asked.

Mid to late June. I guess sales exceeded useable supply by a fairly large margin. So, if anyone is on the fence, may as well stay on the fence until summer Q. FWEIW.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Necro’ing this thread to see if @JodyH or anyone else has any updates? Got bit by the karambit bug and the Provoke looks like a good, low-profile solution with how deep it sits.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Necro’ing this thread to see if @JodyH or anyone else has any updates? Got bit by the karambit bug and the Provoke looks like a good, low-profile solution with how deep it sits.
    I bought one. Second time it opened itself in my pocket it got put aside to go back to the agents to sort.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    I’ve been carrying one daily for months—at first spurred on by numerous business trips to Seattle, and now just because I like it. My thoughts are pretty much unchanged from this old post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I am already quite taken with it. When I first pulled it out, I used two hands to gently swing the blade off the detent to get a feel for how it opened, and which way the blade went. After 2 1/2 seconds of that, it was off to the races: I’ve already done dozens, if not a hundred + practice draws from inside the waistband with no failures to open. It’s quite foolproof. No clinch pick for speed and robust IF access, mind, but it’s the most fumble-proof “folder” I’ve owned. Plus, it’s cool and unusual. So far, so good toting it around in my waistband; no issues.

I will be in Seattle no less than 4 times for business over the summer, and the city ordinance there says knives have to be folders with blades under 3". While I’m pretty sure that this thing is not what the drafters had in mind, it clearly "folds," and the blade is listed as 2.4"—which my ruler confirms. Fits the bill, as they say, with vengeance. I am no Karambit guy, but this thing really works as a folding knife, assuming reverse grip is your bag.

I totally dig it. You should snag one when the rush dies down a bit. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Is this thread going to cost me money?
    #RESIST

User Tag List