Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Mini-14 and optics

How "Good" are these weapons? I understand that many prisons in CA have used them for years and years and years, thousands and thousands of rounds, and they keep on running just fine. Is it something that could be a "hard use" gun? Why/why not? I've never heard of a "fragile ruger".

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    How "Good" are these weapons? I understand that many prisons in CA have used them for years and years and years, thousands and thousands of rounds, and they keep on running just fine. Is it something that could be a "hard use" gun? Why/why not? I've never heard of a "fragile ruger".
    I doubt they've seen thousands and thousands of rounds. LAV said a few years back that based on what he's seen out of the Mini's that have came through his classes, that they are not a serious use gun. That pretty much mirrors what a lot of trainers have said about them. Also take a look at this post from earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    As someone who's Department issues that carbine, my advise would be, before buying an optic for it, just sell it and get something else. I personally have nothing good to say about them. We issue them with the Ultimak and Aimpoint Pro.

Site Supporter
    Just to confirm, I have and shoot a 'serious' gun. This is another gun and just asking about optics for it. It will serve its limited purpose, if set up.

Maybe we can all just have serious guns if the progun members of the legislatures actually are such and act on more than tax cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Just to confirm, I have and shoot a 'serious' gun. This is another gun and just asking about optics for it. It will serve its limited purpose, if set up.

Maybe we can all just have serious guns if the progun members of the legislatures actually are such and act on more than tax cuts.
    I understood your intention for this gun. Everybody needs a few just because guns.

My own experience with the stainless Mini-14 I owned a decade and more ago is that they start to string shots vertically as the barrel warms up.

It seems I read later that Ruger did something to improve this, but I can't remember any more about it.
    Anyway, it will be interesting to hear of your own experience.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

The problem is hitting the target with these.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    The CDCR Service guns don't see Thousands of rounds. They are cheap and effective for their mission which is tower / catwalk / Gallery guns which are passed on from shift to shift and rarely shot.

The Mini 14 is more durable than most sporting guns, but compared to a true .MIL weapon like a quality AR they are fragile, have a shorter service life and are harder to service. Ask any Agency which has issued them.

T
    Last edited by HCM; 03-21-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    My own experience with the stainless Mini-14 I owned a decade and more ago is that they start to string shots vertically as the barrel warms up.

It seems I read later that Ruger did something to improve this, but I can't remember any more about it.
    Anyway, it will be interesting to hear of your own experience.
    In fairness the newer Mini 14's have a shorter and thicker barrel which tends to be more accurate and heat resistant than the old A team models. .

In fact chopping 2" off the 18" barrel of the older mini's tends to help their accuracy as well.

If I were considering anything by Ruger for “serious” personal use one major factor would be the fact that Ruger does not sell repair parts to private individuals like other companies. You can literally buy every part to build almost any firearm out there and have it shipped to your house. Unless it’s a Ruger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    A partial report. I took the gun just out of the box to the indoor range. I shot it with the plain iron sights, just standing there, no rest. I put a target at 15 yards. I basically wanted to see if the the gun would run. So:

1. My 70 year old eyes had a problem with front, back and target focusing with the iron sights. I wore my standard progressives. I shoot all the time with the glasses I wear. As an aside, if I ever do need the gun, I won't be wearing some specially made up shooting prescription. However, a blurry ring and clear front post was manageable.

2. I could put almost all the 70 rounds I fired into the X ring of a B-27 or its head. Many where tightly clustered or touching. The intrinsic wobble of my stance and grip is a lot of the variance. My damn shoulder slap tear and bicep rip gave me a touch of a tremorous grip. Bah. No problem with the trigger.

3. The gun ran just fine with the supplied Ruger 20 round factory mags. However, I bought a couple of ProMag 10 rounders (why - travel to evil states) and they were not friendly. Feeding the first round was troublesome and in one case I got an empty and a round mating with each other. Hard to clear. I've ordered some 10 round Ruger factor mags (more expensive).

4. Optic- I've just got a Leupold 113769 VX-R Patrol FireDot Illuminated Rifle Scope but haven't mounted it yet. Been too busy.

I like the gun and would serve my purposes as a more state friendly gun (until they ban all semis). If I can hit you at 15 yards in COM fairly easily with the irons, it's acceptable. I do like my AR more but life is complex. I probably wouldn't be shooting long range things with it but will ring out the Leupold at a 100 yards when it's set up.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 04-26-2018 at 04:11 PM.

User Tag List