Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Mini-14 and optics

Site Supporter

My new Mini-14 and optics

I am now the owner of a new Mini-14. Synthetic stock and stainless. I already have an AR, so having this is for my own arcane reasons.

But the question is for those in the know, what's a good optics set up. My purpose would be carbine match distances, self-defense as compared to longer distance critters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I am now the owner of a new Mini-14. Synthetic stock and stainless. I already have an AR, so having this is for my own arcane reasons.

But the question is for those in the know, what's a good optics set up. My purpose would be carbine match distances, self-defense as compared to longer distance critters.
    Is this one of the current versions, a ranch model or one of the older ones with the Garand style sight ?

Site Supporter

I don't know why but I have an itch for a Mini tactical that just needs scratching.

If it were me I'd either go Ultimak with a red dot or an LPV.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I have a Leupold 1.25-4 Mark AR (illuminated) on mine in Ruger rings. If you want an RDS an ultimak scout rail is a good option.

Ultimak
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Site Supporter
    As someone who's Department issues that carbine, my advise would be, before buying an optic for it, just sell it and get something else. I personally have nothing good to say about them. We issue them with the Ultimak and Aimpoint Pro.

I can't advise you on an optic, bu just wanted to request that you keep us updated regarding your Mini-14 experiences, as I'm interested.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    That I will do, once I get it set up.

Years ago during the AWB I got one, an all stainless ranch model. Reliable with quality magazines that were unfortunately in short supply at that dark time. Stay away from aftermarket magazines and it should run well. I ended up trading it for an AR and never looked back, except sometimes at the 7.62 Russian model..

If Ruger or somebody would make a magazine adapter for the Mini that would allow AR and AK mags to be used....

User Tag List