Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Staging the trigger on a TDA gun

Back when I used to shoot with our PPC guys, I recall discussions regarding "staging the trigger" for revolver shooters with stock or near stock triggers on the barricade stage. For example, with a stock S&W trigger, the shooter would use the forearm to brace against the barricade, pull the trigger until the second click and hold (stage the trigger) until a good sight picture was obtained, then break the shot. I have no idea if this use of "trigger staging" was local dialect or common terminology.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Back when I used to shoot with our PPC guys, I recall discussions regarding "staging the trigger" for revolver shooters with stock or near stock triggers on the barricade stage. For example, with a stock S&W trigger, the shooter would use the forearm to brace against the barricade, pull the trigger until the second click and hold (stage the trigger) until a good sight picture was obtained, then break the shot. I have no idea if this use of "trigger staging" was local dialect or common terminology.
    That was the common terminology used during the revolver days. I think people are getting "staging" the trigger mixed up with "prepping" the trigger during the press out. If you're an old geezer like some of us and you skim through a post about prepping the trigger, you can get the idea they're talking about staging like we used to do in PPC. It's an easy misinterpretation to make, but one that's important to avoid because we're talking about two different concepts.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 03-23-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Qaz98 View Post
    Do you think that applies to the HK LEM, too?
    In my eyes, a fundamental question is if I could trigger a shot before I fully intended to by getting on a trigger early. I have never been able to do so with either LEM or DA, no matter how hard I pushed for speed. So I treat and work them similarly even if it is less of a "must do" with LEM since the initial travel is so light that it takes no time or effort to get through that.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Rowing right through the break smoothly and consistently has worked well for me.
    I really like this way of explaining it. "rowing through" seems quite appropriate, in that when you're rowing a boat, the water is providing resistance, and it's just a smooth motion from start to finish, regardless of whether it's done quickly or slowly. I stumbled onto this somehow on my own with my 226, and when I did it, the shots went exactly where the front site was. It was so effective that it made me stop and think about 'how/why' this had happened. My instincts said that the quicker you pulled the trigger, the more likely you'd be to create movement of the muzzle, and accuracy would DECREASE. Kept doing it, and it kept working. It's a little strange how it works, but very gratifying to see the result.

I think Pistol University would be a more appropriate name for this forum, as that's the level of discussion going on here! Excellent info, thanks!!

Site Supporter
    This is a great thread thanks for all the input.

User Tag List