Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 23?

Site Supporter
    Also noted from SCSW 3rd Edition that the Model 23 numbered guns are extremely rare with less than 100 made after S&W changed over to a model number system from a name ("Outdoorsman"). Quite a find you have there!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

One word: wadcutters.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    SCSW says that serial number left the factory during the 1957-1958 time frame.
    Also noted from SCSW 3rd Edition that the Model 23 numbered guns are extremely rare with less than 100 made after S&W changed over to a model number system from a name ("Outdoorsman"). Quite a find you have there!
    I've been doing some "off duty" investigations on the gun, while awaiting a letter from S&W.... I'll advise as soon as I know much more. The best I have right now, is the gun was originally registered in NYS on 11/01/1960 and changed hands in 1973, until sold to the LGS.

Beautiful! Enjoy!

Good catch.
    I had to run look at mine, been a long time since I had it out.
    No Mod 23 so mine is a "pre-23", otherwise known as an Outdoorsman.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That is COOL!

Would it be rude to ask how much you paid for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    I've been doing some "off duty" investigations on the gun, while awaiting a letter from S&W.... I'll advise as soon as I know much more. The best I have right now, is the gun was originally registered in NYS on 11/01/1960 and changed hands in 1973, until sold to the LGS.
    So, getting ready to start a new thread here on a few Smith and Wesson N Frames that I recently acquired, I see that I never updated this post…
    The gun was lettered by the SWCA and Roy Jinks, the official Smith and Wesson Historian reported that the Mod 23 left the S&W Factory in 1960.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I read the same thing just the other night.

The OP might want to get an appraisal before shooting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    One word: wadcutters.
    In my limited revolver knowledge I am not sure I realize how great this unicorn is. But after 15 years as a firearms instructor, almost exclusively supervising cops shooting autos, I look rather lustfully at guys shooting groups with wadcutters. Not only is the recoil generally much less, but those neat little holes...

I'll say it now. I want wadcutters for everything in my safe, and everything in my cops' safes, if they will feed in the autos.

I plan to retire in 5 or so years, and there are a bunch of revolvers on that "gotta get" list....

Stangely enough, my wife still doesn't understand the phrase "I need" as much as I would like her to.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I read the same thing just the other night.

The OP might want to get an appraisal before shooting.
    Actually it’s a safe queen. It’s been shot a bit over its time.
    And right after I bought the Mod 23, with the help of some very sharp guys over at the Smith-Wesson Forum, I got in touch with a very well know S&W collector/auctioneer. Based on a couple of dozen photos sent to him, he had a buyer willing to pay CRAZY money for the gun… CRAZY MONEY.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    In my limited revolver knowledge I am not sure I realize how great this unicorn is. But after 15 years as a firearms instructor, almost exclusively supervising cops shooting autos, I look rather lustfully at guys shooting groups with wadcutters. Not only is the recoil generally much less, but those neat little holes...

I'll say it now. I want wadcutters for everything in my safe, and everything in my cops' safes, if they will feed in the autos.

I plan to retire in 5 or so years, and there are a bunch of revolvers on that "gotta get" list....

Stangely enough, my wife still doesn't understand the phrase "I need" as much as I would like her to.

pat
    Just FYI, if you’re a handloader, you can get SWCs for 9x19s.

User Tag List