Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: All Military branches order XM17/XM18

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Can we maybe avoid posts like this?

Tokarev started a new thread on a topic that had been previously discussed (in this thread), I merged his post/thread into this one and posted "threads merged". I think that's sufficient.
    My fault.

I usually work off my phone via Tapatalk. I scrolled down a bit to make sure someone hadn't already started a thread about this. But I didn't scroll down far enough on my tiny screen.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Not to pile on here, but I think what gets forgotten a lot is that the military has to go with the “lowest price technically acceptable” this is what leads to the cancellation of the SCAR MK16 or the adoption of the 320 as the M17/M18. SCAR might be arguably better than the M4 and the Glock submission might have been better than the Sig, but since the M4 and the Sig meet the written requirements and are cheaper, they will be selected every time. If we truly were looking to get the best gear into the military’s hands the entire acquisition system needs to be scrapped and redone from top to bottom. Occasional success stories does not mean the system is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by c713d View Post
    Not to pile on here, but I think what gets forgotten a lot is that the military has to go with the “lowest price technically acceptable” this is what leads to the cancellation of the SCAR MK16 or the adoption of the 320 as the M17/M18. SCAR might be arguably better than the M4 and the Glock submission might have been better than the Sig, but since the M4 and the Sig meet the written requirements and are cheaper, they will be selected every time. If we truly were looking to get the best gear into the military’s hands the entire acquisition system needs to be scrapped and redone from top to bottom. Occasional success stories does not mean the system is good.

That's actually not true.
    I believe this was a Best Value contract, not a Lowest Price Technically Acceptable one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alma View Post
    That's actually not true.
    I believe this was a Best Value contract, not a Lowest Price Technically Acceptable one.
    Thanks, I just assumed. Doesn’t help that I’m outside the acquisition process, but my faith in it is not the strongest right now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by c713d View Post

Alma is correct about it being a Best Value Contract and the reasons behind the cancellation of the MK 16 are more complex than you are portraying.

Well, I wasn't in favor of the military doing this--I thought they should continue with the M9 by adding in M9a3's and allowing infantry units to get Glocks with safeties.

But, I wasn't too upset with the decision to buy the SIG. It's only a pistol after all and while I don't care for it, so what?

But that mean round between stoppage number is terrible. OK, let's assume that 2/3's are from people riding the slide release, but that MRBS of only about 1000 rounds.

Back in the day of the GI 1911, that would have been a good number. Today it is ridiculously bad.

An M9 or a Glock (or most other modern pistols) will do far better than that--and those few times when a pistol is needed it is really needed.

Let us hope these are just teething troubles.
    Last edited by Jeep; 03-29-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Now the only reason why I dumped my Sig P320 is because...I got tired of buying more mags when I have a lot of Glock mags and M9 mags. That is it. I like the gun but support equipment and familiarity is a thing in my buying practices now that I have kids. Now will I see the M17 when I deploy again maybe. Will I see it State side when I do training, no. I just got new M9s and I was able to keep the old ones as well. I am National Guard so I will be lucky to see one in 4 years unless I deploy again.

I can't see the other branches jumping onboard so quickly if there are still some serious teething issues to be worked out. Could much of the reported problems be "fake news?"

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

User Tag List