Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a guy looking to transition from Military Police to civilian/FED LE

Advice for a guy looking to transition from Military Police to civilian/FED LE

Hey gents. So I'm in the Navy, I've just hit my 12 year mark and my wife literally just got hired onto JSO. I'm going to 20 years and then retire out of the military. I was going to go longer, but it's becoming less and less for me every day. It's the people not the job. So I've decided to start preparing now. I know I'll be at 40 years old when I retire from active duty. I have my Associates in CJ, I'm working on my BA and plan to have my masters when I get out. I also have, though I know it doesn't matter, my 2002NEC aka Military Police Investigator. Which I've been actively assigned in for about 5 years. I'm not doing my USMAPS certs because I heard they don't matter from other retired Military guys I trust that went civ LE. They're essentially journeyman certs from my understanding and people laugh at them. I have Center for homeland security certifications 1-5 also, not sure if that matters out of DHS, probably not, and those FEMA courses I'm sure y'all had to do too, because my mother who's a shrink at Cornell University in NYS had to do all of the same ones.

Anyway. I would like some advice from this knowledgeable group. I'm looking in the Fort Worth TX area when I get out. Not looking for a spot to be held or anything. I've got 8 years left. But I want to prepare now so I have the best possible shot. I've got a few injuries from the military but nothing that will keep me from doing the job, I do it now. Just looking to do another 20-25 years then retire from that.

I know I'm starting from the bottom and I'm not thinking the military thing gets me much at all like some dudes. My buddies gave me a little insight, but I'm looking to get some info from the group here to make sure I have the best info from the widest audience. Also if any of you are/were in the same boat. Just looking for some guidance. Thanks gents.

Edit: I'm also not too picky, I'll go to a Sheriff's office, PD, FED. Doesn't matter looking for all options. Just need a place to put in time. Not Dallas though....
    Last edited by navyman8903; 03-16-2018 at 06:24 AM.

If you print a CJ degree on toilet paper, it isn't worth wiping your ass with it. Get out of CJ and get a degree in something that is useful outside of police work.

One of the hardest things for a military to LE transition, is dealing with non-military coworkers and supervisors. It can be frustrating and a lot of retired military folks don't make it two years in LE work, because they don't realize how difficult other cops can make the job. I was issuing out plate carriers yesterday and the brain shed made something as easy as "pick up your plate carrier and sign next to your name" into something that makes a trip to CIF look like a formula one pit stop.

If you're going to put in the effort to get a BA and/or masters have something useful to show for your efforts and a contingency plan in case civilian LE is not you cup of tea.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    At this point I recommend you get your 20 in with the Navy, lock in that retirement check and then look into a local agency in TX for a seperate retirement stream.

There are many good agencies in DFW. Fort worth PD for one. I would recommend Dallas PD or Dallas County SO only as a last resort.

A retirement check from the navy might allow you take a slightly lower paying job outside DFW for better working conditions and quality of life. Some where you could afford the 10 plus acres to be able to shoot on your own property for example.

Two things to be aware of are 1) age and 2) all Federal time is not created equal. Most fed LE agencies require you to go in by 37 due to mandatory retirement at 57 and the requirement to complete 20 years of fed LE/6c covered time to get the higher 1.7% rate for your first 20 years vs 1% standard civilian federal retirement.

There is a court case which some agency’s are usinng to take veterans over age 37 by using their military time to extend the entry age. So a veteran with 10 years Military could get hired up through age 47 instead of age 37.HOWEVER, a 47 year old with 10 years Military is still subject to manadatory retirement at 57 and still must do 20 years 6c time to get the 1.7% retirement rate. So our hypothetical 47 year old Veteran must retire at 57 with 20% of his average high 3 vs a 37 year old retiring at 57 with 34% and our veteran only gets 20% if they bought back / paid back the difference between the military and civilian contributions for their 10 years of military time.

If you go Federal in a 6c covered LE position prior to your 38th birthday you would still need to do 20 years in that position to get the higher retirement rate. You would also have to buy back those 12 years to make up the difference between military and civilian fed pension contributions. So you would retire with 20 years at 1.7% of you average high 3 (34%) and then, if you bought them back, get the 12 years as 1% per year as “additional Fed time.” So you would get 46% of the average of your 3 higher years. Plus your TSP and social security.

Thanks for the input gents, I appreciate it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    If you print a CJ degree on toilet paper, it isn't worth wiping your ass with it. Get out of CJ and get a degree in something that is useful outside of police work.
    This.

Learn sign language and/or Spanish.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I made the switch from AD mil to LE last year, but I didn’t stay in for the full 20 (took up a part time Nat’l Guard slot instead). I’d definitely recommend staying for the 20 as you’ve indicated.

The one piece of advice I’d give based on my recent experience is: be patient in selecting an agency. I think a lot of people end up accepting the first offer that comes their way, which can lead to a bad mismatch between the agency and the officer. I didn’t expect this going in, but I ended up being an extremely competitive applicant...simply because I was a college grad with .mil experience and basic interview skills (and agencies are hurting for people). I had the luxury of choosing between a few agencies and finding the best fit. With your background I’d expect you’d have the same luxury and I’d recommend taking advantage of it. Good luck!
    Last edited by RJflyer; 03-18-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    I've got a few injuries from the military but nothing that will keep me from doing the job, I do it now.
    If you’ve got legit service-connected injuries, make sure those are documented, and present that to the VA when you get out. A disability rating of 10% or more gives you a significant advantage in the hiring process for many Federal jobs.

Stay in the Navy for at least 20 and get that retirement. Then, forget law enforcement and utilize your college education for something else. Dumping the CJ degree is excellent advise. It's not quite as worthless as Underwater Basket Weaving 101, but damned close. Forty something is not the time to be jumping into LE as a career. Everyone else is patting you on the back with , "Good luck, follow your bliss!" bullshit. I'll be the outlier and drop the truth bombs. Forty is too old to be starting a contact sport like LE. By then you should be halfway through a career, not starting it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I'll echo some of the advice you've already gotten. FIRST - get a degree in something that is marketable. You're already pretty "specialized" in your military experience, don't pigeon hole yourself further by getting a CJ degree.

Second - consider some other line of work. If you're going to be in your 40s when you start your academy and active LE career, you're going to be pretty far behind the power curve. I went to my academy and FLETC at 35-37, and got my butt whipped by the 22-30 year old classmates. Then, even though I was federal, which is TYPICALLY a less physically demanding line of work than uniformed local police work, my age was definitely an issue. At 40, I blew out my left shoulder doing a normal workout, and at 45, had a similar issue with my right shoulder. Neither of these injuries and the surgeries to repair them would have allowed my to suit up and get out on the street in uniform.

For me, I knew I wanted to be in Federal LE, so I jumped at the 12 year mark to avoid the age cap. If you're dead set on staying in the USN til 20 to get your retirement (assuming it's still there by then, and not gutted to nothing), I'd look for a different post-military career. If you're a hard core gun guy, you can get into training, you could work for a major manufacturer in training or sales, etc; OR, you could get a job that makes real money and pursue your gun hobby in your spare time.

I do appreciate the advice, and honestly I'm not super excited about starting over at 40. After I was the Chief Investigator at my last duty station I was able to get a lot of experience and time in doing dedicated LE work. I was also able to do all the cool shit you're normally not able to do as Military LE. I can't get out of the Navy, they've got me till 14 years, and not doing the last 6 would be dumb. Also I'm grandfathered in for the High 3 retirement system.

I wish I could just do something chill, but I think putting down the badge will be hard. I'm trying to stay in investigations till I get out, I really like the LE stuff. I don't mind the operational stuff either, but that's a young man's game. I can't do that forever. Maybe Federal is the way to go, I'm not sure. Maybe being a firearms instructor is the way to go too. I could do that. But at the same time I'll feel out of place not doing what I do now I think. I'm split on it. I really liked kicking doors and doing LE work, and I still like it. Part of me wants to relax after I retire. But at the same time I think I might hate it. I'm not sure.

I'll push into a different degree path though. That is solid advice and I appreciate it gents. I'll have to figure out what to do though lol.

User Tag List