Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: Full Sized Passenger Vans

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My Savanna is a 3500, and I ride around in it empty most of the time. The ride is quite decent for an empty one-ton. It's a LWB, so the fore-aft pitching motions are reduced when going over bumps, and the timing between the front and rear axle encountering the bump is different, so they will tend to contribute to a pitching oscillation at different frequencies. From the driver's seat, the motion is mostly up and down, so the front row doesn't experience the fore-aft pitching that you get when seated high midway between the axles. Going to lunch in coworkers' duallies is punishing by comparison.

The LWB is also unusual in having the rear axle so far back in the vehicle. It should really help with controlling trailer motion, and should make backing a trailer a little less hyperactive.

I live in TX, so the parking issue is rarely a problem. I've only owned the LWB, so I'm used to it.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 03-16-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    3. Ford Transit- not sure I trust these tiny turbo engines
    I went from a 3003 2500 Suburban we had for 235k with a 6.0 directly to a 2014 F-150 with max tow and 3.73 and the 3.5 twin turbo, and had the same apprehension. But after about 50k I would not refer to something with 420fp@2200rpm as "tiny", I would refer to it as "awesome". After towing this over Jellico
    Name:  20150509_095330.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  65.7 KB
    I became a fanboi. 420fp doesn't sound like much more, but it comes in at 2200rpm instead of the typical 3800rpm means no downshifting.

Diesel engines seem to add 10k to the price and I am not sure they are worth it as I rarely tow things
    And I think a lot of the torque advantage comes from being turbocharged, and see above
    Torque without the diesel hassle (DEF, yada, yada, yada...)

ETA: my comparison SWAG on torque numbers was off a little off, the 6.0, that I was perfectly happy with:
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  21.5 KB
    Didn't wake up till 4k. That means you probably have to drop two gears before getting busy. I would just roll on with the low RPM torque the turbos bring to the table.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-16-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Hammertime
    The 6.0 liter and trans combination really won me over on the drive home which is a lot of two lane, and a decent amount of mountain roads. Passing was so much less drama than the aged 5.3. So were the climbs.

Will look at the Ford closely as well thanks for the feedback on the turbo engine. I simply have a bias toward displacement and against turbos due to the throttle response. Might not be a big deal in a giant, non performance type vehicle though.

The 6.0 liter and trans combination really won me over on the drive home which is a lot of two lane, and a decent amount of mountain roads. Passing was so much less drama than the aged 5.3. So were the climbs.
    I loved my 6.0 the whole time I had it. The gearing in this van might be different also.

Will look at the Ford closely as well thanks for the feedback on the turbo engine. I simply have a bias toward displacement and against turbos due to the throttle response. Might not be a big deal in a giant, non performance type vehicle though.
    I get what you are saying, and a few years ago I probably thought the same thing, but IMO modern turbo management makes "turbo lag" a thing of the past. Something I focus on more and more is not just the torque peak, but when it hits. My 3.5L truck (with 3.73 gearing and the six speed) is turning about 2k just rolling down the road, probably producing at least 400fp, my 6.0 needed to downshift (probably twice) to get to 4k/360fp. People tend to be concerned with "turbo lag" but accept "downshift lag" cause they are used to it? My truck does some funky stuff when you roll through a stop sign and then give it abrupt throttle, but I think that is the transmission being confused more than the boost. Also, when you test drive, you (me, everybody?) might be inclined to do things you will not do, like really stab it and wind it out, and that is not as impressive as just driving it. After a few months I realized the thing just accelerates and goes over hills without drama.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-17-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Turbo technology has for about 15 years been sufficiently advanced that lag is not really a thing anymore if the whole system is engineered well.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 03-17-2018 at 08:35 AM.
    Not another dime.

The 2500/3500 vans have had 3.42 gears with the 6 speed transmission. Prior to that 3.73's were out there. The G80 locker would be worth looking at, while they are not good for serious off road use or with oversized wheels, they work well with OE setup and can save you from a tow if you're doing the one wheel peel.

Tire pressure is a big factor in the ride quality of big vans. If they come from the factory with the TPMS set at 80psi, unladen they will bounce around and wear out the centers of the tires. Without a reprogram at a more reasonable 50-55psi, you'll get pinged to insanity by some asinine warning.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Hammertime

RFI: Full Sized Passenger Vans

We ended up with another Chevrolet Express. Short wheel base, 12 passenger 2500, 6.0 gas engine, rear limited slip differential. I am really happy with it, especially the engine/trans combination. So strong, and the modern electronics on the tranny are outstanding for uphill, downhill driving.

What pushed us to the GM product over the Ford, Sprinter, or Nissan:

1. Familiarity with the platform, my wife didn't want to learn another different enormous vehicle.
    2. Amazing engine!
    3. 21 year track record of the platform with slow improvements. It was introduced in 1995, and everything likely to go wrong with these vans has already been found out by countless rental and industrial fleets, church groups, and general people hauler abuse.
    4. Towing capacity. 10,000lbs. I may not need it, but it is there in spades over the competition.
    5. Finances: Using some inroads with GM, I got it for employee pricing (37k), -3500 GM cash back, -1500 for financing (will pay off in a couple months), -2500 for currently driving and import(who knew about this GM promotion. Ended up with a price of $30,500 on a $41,000 MSRP van before taxes and licensing.

Love it. It should serve us for another decade of exploration.

Thanks for the input folks.

Last edited by Doc_Glock; 04-05-2018 at 04:30 PM.

3. 21 year track record of the platform with slow improvements. It was introduced in 1995, and everything likely to go wrong with these vans has already been found out by countless rental and industrial fleets, church groups, and general people hauler abuse.
    All the users in places with rain and humidity know about the work truck white paint peeling off, which AFAIK has never been fixed. Mine was fine for 15 years of LA sun, started peeling after a year and a half in Houston. They all do.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    All the users in places with rain and humidity know about the work truck white paint peeling off, which AFAIK has never been fixed. Mine was fine for 15 years of LA sun, started peeling after a year and a half in Houston. They all do.
    Yep... peels in NJ. Usually the hood, then the fenders.

User Tag List