Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shockwave+RMR+Scalarworks = whoa

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    A shotgun may just be the only gun I could stand being ported.
    About the only one that comes close to deserving it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you plan to shoot this gun defensively, out in the field, and don’t hike with ear pro on, I can assure you by experience, that shooting a ported 14 inch shorty is painful, and significantly louder than a standard 14.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you plan to shoot this gun defensively, out in the field, and don’t hike with ear pro on, I can assure you by experience, that shooting a ported 14 inch shorty is painful, and significantly louder than a standard 14.
    It certainly beats the alternative to not discharging the weapon in the given situation, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    It certainly beats the alternative to not discharging the weapon in the given situation, though.

If the question is hurt your ears, or be mauled, of course I will take ringing in my ears. There is an alternative, and that is an unported barrel. In case anyone is interested, I have three or four surplus ported, Vang’d and NP3’d 14 inch 870 barrels, that I replaced with unported barrels. Porting really takes the fun out of a warning shot!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Well damn. I don't think I've ever actually SEEN a SW being fired before. That actually looks absurdly handy! Think about it for hiking in bear country with Federal DP's or something! Or for pretty much anything, I guess.
    I made a shockwave for just that reason. It's been on quite a few backpacking trips.
    Attachment 24501
    Attachment 24502
    So I was sitting against that stump, smoking my pipe, enjoying the day.
    Attachment 24503
    I look off to my left and see Mr. Fuzzybritches walk by. Just chilling.
    Attachment 24504
    Not concerning. He was 130 paces away and judging from his tracks was only a 200pounder. I slept out under the stars about 20 yards away. Of course I went back during hunting season and didn't see him.
    Last edited by 03RN; 03-17-2018 at 03:01 AM.

Recoil with Brenneke slugs would be interesting, not to mention the sight in session.
    I sighted the rmr with federal deep penatrator true ball load. It's 1 oz at 1350fps. The Remington sluggers are going 1560fps and noticably less controllable with a ton of flash. I just received a case of the federals and will keep them for serious slug needs.

Here are 5 rounds. The there are the 4 dead center with one a couple inches above the 8 on the R. That was me. These guns are not "easy" to shoot and I must of either anticipated the shot or shot to fast.
    Attachment 24505
    The buckshot holes were from the federal flight control 00 and the first round was a little R so I clicked L. Second round was too far L so I clicked back right and split the difference.
    The neck shot was the flight control at 15 yards
    Last edited by 03RN; 03-17-2018 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I think I need a shockwave with a dot.

Hey 03RN, I'd feel better if you had some sort of positive stop/guard for your support hand on that slide... isn't there supposed to be a strap?
    I don't like it. I trust my grip more than some flimsy nylon. My thought was also that if I ever grabbed this gun in the dark, in a rush my hand could be over the strap and it could reduce my grip.
    Also, the way I shoot it, I don't think my arm is long enough to go in front of the muzzle.

If the question is hurt your ears, or be mauled, of course I will take ringing in my ears. There is an alternative, and that is an unported barrel. In case anyone is interested, I have three or four surplus ported, Vang’d and NP3’d 14 inch 870 barrels, that I replaced with unported barrels. Porting really takes the fun out of a warning shot!
    Thank you for your input. I'll be leaving it unported although I would be interested in shooting a ported one just to compare.

The federal low recoil flight control is pretty manageable. The video I posted is full power buckshot fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I think I need a shockwave with a dot.

Hey 03RN, I'd feel better if you had some sort of positive stop/guard for your support hand on that slide... isn't there supposed to be a strap?
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I don't like it. I trust my grip more than some flimsy nylon. My thought was also that if I ever grabbed this gun in the dark, in a rush my hand could be over the strap and it could reduce my grip.
    Also, the way I shoot it, I don't think my arm is long enough to go in front of the muzzle.
    A Surefire shotgun forend weapon light might provide a positive stop and still give a solid grip.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    A Surefire shotgun forend weapon light might provide a positive stop and still give a solid grip.
    I'm expecting a 618 this week. It may be to heavy. If it is it'll go on another 590 but I do want to try it

User Tag List