Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixed blade for edc under $150

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The slightly shorter handle is what makes it appealing to me. By all accounts it appears to be enough for what my use would be.
    Yeah, when I looked at them I was in the market for a small utility type knife, where a larger handle tends to work better for those type of tasks. Much like the difference between Izula and Izula II...one conceals a little better, one works better as a utility knife (at least IMO).
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Take a look at Battle Horse Knives. I have several of their blades and they are all well made and affordable.

My favorite is the Broken Trail:
    Name:  BHKBrokentrail1.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  52.3 KB

Dan's Frontier looks to be a perfect fit for you, but I think you can order a Broken Trail, or any other knife they have made. The Frontier just happens to be in stock right now.

https://www.battlehorseknives.com/Frontierfirst.html

Their Kydex sheaths are OK, but you'll probably want to have Tom or Tony or me make something for you that does exactly what you want.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Having a dozen of these around is not a bad idea.

CRKT Minimalist - Drop Point
    https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-Minimali...inimalist&th=1
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    Take a look at Battle Horse Knives. I have several of their blades and they are all well made and affordable.

Dan's Frontier looks to be a perfect fit for you, but I think you can order a Broken Trail, or any other knife they have made. The Frontier just happens to be in stock right now.

https://www.battlehorseknives.com/Frontierfirst.html

Their Kydex sheaths are OK, but you'll probably want to have Tom or Tony or me make something for you that does exactly what you want.
    I have an early incarnation of the Frontier First back when they were the previous company (the two founders split and formed two new companies). Mine uses steel from an old sawmill blade. It's a bit soft, but looks nice. It lives in a neck holster and is my oldest daughter's field knife (back when she would go out into the woods with me). The only thing I don't like about their knives is the handles tend to be rather chunky. They feel good in the hand, but would impact concealment.

My FF has big beautiful chunks of green micarta for handle scales.

Chris

The Bradford Guardians have been on my radar for some time... Haven't pulled the trigger but have threatened.
    Also i see they are doing 20% off green scaled knives today
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Also i see they are doing 20% off green scaled knives today
    For the record I hate you for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

For the record I hate you for this.

Now you'll have something to make a sheath off when i get around to getting one. It's purely selfish intent on my part.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

The Bradford Guardians have been on my radar for some time... Haven't pulled the trigger but have threatened.
    I have handled them at Blade Show a couple years in a row. They always look really sharp and are made well but for me there was something about the ergos that did not line up. Let me reiterate - really cool design and craftsmanship was A+ on the specimens I saw at Blade Show.

There's a reason lots of folks are recommending the Izula. It's a fantastic value and VERY capable for its size (at bottom below).

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    Take a look at Battle Horse Knives. I have several of their blades and they are all well made and affordable. My favorite is the Broken Trail...
    I'm a big BHK fan as well. The only drawback is that they frequently discontinue models; for instance, I don't think they're offering the Broken Trail any more. I have their "Essiac" (top below, also discontinued) which is built like a tank: 5/32" thick O1 Tool Steel, 9" overall, 3 3/4" blade, Scandi grind. Overkill for EDC, but always on my belt in the woods.

Good luck and let us know what you wind up with.

Name:  IMG_20180317_101425.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  82.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Earlymonk View Post
    There's a reason lots of folks are recommending the Izula. It's a fantastic value and VERY capable for its size (at bottom below).

I'm a big BHK fan as well. The only drawback is that they frequently discontinue models; for instance, I don't think they're offering the Broken Trail any more. I have their "Essiac" (top below, also discontinued) which is built like a tank: 5/32" thick O1 Tool Steel, 9" overall, 3 3/4" blade, Scandi grind. Overkill for EDC, but always on my belt in the woods.

Good luck and let us know what you wind up with.

Name:  IMG_20180317_101425.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  82.7 KB
    I've been told by the "owner" at BHK that if they have done a production run on a blade, they can do one offs upon request. There may be an up charge, I don't know as I have never pursued it.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

User Tag List