Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Stolen Cars

FWIW, last couple of years we have towed in a good number of big, old vans that were abandoned and appeared to been used for transporting people. Coincidentally, they all had siphon hoses, tire irons and floor jacks as well as empty back packs and water bottles left behind. Sadly some also had little kid stuff left in them.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    ...the theft of your vehicle would be categorized as international large capacity human trafficking.
    (Wry chuckle) "high capacity human trafficking vehicle. Nobody needs one of those anyways..."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    3. What can I expect as a response from Law Enforcement
    Probably nothing. With no known suspects, what's likely shit video surveillance, and nothing to go on it's probably not even going to be assigned a detective. If it's located, an evidence tech will process it for prints, and you'll be notified of recovery. Then more nothing will happen. At least here, successful prosecution for a stolen vehicle is nearly impossible.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Probably nothing. With no known suspects, what's likely shit video surveillance, and nothing to go on it's probably not even going to be assigned a detective. If it's located, an evidence tech will process it for prints, and you'll be notified of recovery. Then more nothing will happen. At least here, successful prosecution for a stolen vehicle is nearly impossible.
    Unless it's a located as an occupied stolen. Which you really don't want to happen, because whether the police are chasing it or not there's a good chance they're fleeing and a big van like that is prime material to wrap around a telephone pole at the first turn.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    3. What can I expect as a response from Law Enforcement
    One of my best friends worked an auto theft task force in AZ for several years up until this year.

You're likely going to get a phone call some time from now that it was found abandoned in the desert filled with human feces and urine, and that no useable latent prints were found.

Sorry man. At least it was an old ass beater instead of a passion.

If you/your family had any identity documents inside, consider your ID currently on the market for sale, especially if you have Hispanic kids. Selling Hispanic AmCit identities is big transnational business.
    Last edited by TGS; 03-15-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you get another GM full-size van, avoid the work truck white paint. The white ones all peel, faster if there's moisture where you are.

Mine is 20 years old this year. Just put new brakes on the front. Came with Bilsteins, which means it has better shocks than I can buy for my Subaru. When I get another, it will be a retired Penske 12-foot box truck.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If you get another GM full-size van, avoid the work truck white paint. The white ones all peel, faster if there's moisture where you are.

Mine is 20 years old this year. Just put new brakes on the front. Came with Bilsteins, which means it has better shocks than I can buy for my Subaru. When I get another, it will be a retired Penske 12-foot box truck.
    Well, that brings us to replacement van information...going to start a new thread.

Our rental is the long wheel base, 15 passenger Chevy. Not much has changed in 13 years. Is is smoother, a little more powerful, has side airbags, and seems to handle better, but park way worse than our short wheelbase version.

They are people movers for sure.

We got the stolen van for $10,500 in 2007 with 22,000 miles in pristine, like new condition.

We put 90k on it in ten years with only two mechanical issues: differential died at 80k miles. Probably my fault for not changing the oil in it. And the water pump blew at 110k miles. That is it. I just changed the oil and put gas in it. Pretty impressive run I think.

We absolutely trashed the interior and body panels with bangs and dents with all the kids, loaning it to Boy Scouts, etc.

We absolutely got our money’s worth out of the vehicle and I am cringing on replacement cost since I am a bit of a tightwad about cars.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Probably has already delivered 2+ loads of "undocumented workers" across the border who are now hoping to cash in on amnesty, file for public assistance, kill another Kate Steinle and mooch of the system.

Using the same logic as the moniker "gun crime", the theft of your vehicle would be categorized as international large capacity human trafficking.
    That’s not the way that works.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    If/when you get it back, very carefully check it top and in all nooks and crannies for needles, condoms, drugs and anything else that might be a biohazard or contraband.
    This is no joke. A friend’s mother had her car stolen. When it was recovered, she found enough drugs where she just had it searched more thoroughly with a dog. My friend’s mom just recently retired from the CBP, so this was not as surprising or problematic as it might’ve been for a muggle.

There were apparently A LOT of drugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

@Enel they didn't get your hammer did they? I keed I keed! Sorry just trying to interject some lame humor in a bad situation.

As far as the why. My guess would be smuggling purposes, or they are gonna part it out. I don't know much about that particular van, but if they're not made anymore or if the motor is no longer made that will make them a target for theft as the parts heft a bigger price tag.

User Tag List