Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interesting threat analysis about armed robbers

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    That's my concern...it may scare off some guys, but if you're in the wrong situation you've just given the worst kind of guys information about you that they might find useful.

Are you against any sort of cue that is generally grouped into a bluff? Like the fanning the shirt? Or just verbalizing "I don't have a gun"?

Do you mean the LEO author is an idiot or someone else posting on that AR15 thread?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    That's my concern...it may scare off some guys, but if you're in the wrong situation you've just given the worst kind of guys information about you that they might find useful.

Not that I disagree at all as I am thinking about this one pretty hard, but if they keep coming, one, weren't they coming to begin with, and two, haven't you just definitively identified a SERIOUS threat? It seems to me that a case is therefore made to support the original claim by identifying the worst of the worst before it's too late.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Are you against any sort of cue that is generally grouped into a bluff? Like the fanning the shirt? Or just verbalizing "I don't have a gun"?

Do you mean the LEO author is an idiot or someone else posting on that AR15 thread?
    I meant the person that was last quoted.

...which is me. You've made me explain an attempt at self-depreciating humor.

I curse you.

Anyway, as for "bluffs" or attempts to warn someone off a path of stupidity short of pulling the gun on them, I'm the wrong man to ask about the utility of that.

Quote Originally Posted by TexBuckeye View Post
    Not that I disagree at all as I am thinking about this one pretty hard, but if they keep coming, one, weren't they coming to begin with, and two, haven't you just definitively identified a SERIOUS threat? It seems to me that a case is therefore made to support the original claim by identifying the worst of the worst before it's too late.
    ...except when you're not identifying the worst of the worst and are instead relaying valuable information to a threat you don't fully recognize yet. To wit, the dude behind you that you don't see.

I curse you.

Anyway, as for "bluffs" or attempts to warn someone off a path of stupidity short of pulling the gun on them, I'm the wrong man to ask about the utility of that.

...except when you're not identifying the worst of the worst and are instead relaying valuable information to a threat you don't fully recognize yet. To wit, the dude behind you that you don't see.
    There are always unknowns. But if I haven't given reason enough to stop the guys in front of me from continuing with their approach short of firing on them, I'll never have time to recognize the threat coming from behind me. But I might be reading you wrong, if you are saying screw the bluff and clear leather, then I can say that that is an approach that I could also deem prudent. After all, we aren't talking about simply passing someone on the sidewalk.

I curse you.

ROFL!!!

I'm so sorry.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by phil_in_cs View Post
    what is the "GD" they are referring to?
    I could be wrong, but I caught the term "Gangster Disciples" in the article, although he mentions it in the beginning as if it is a geographical location, not a group of people.

EMC, no, it is the General Discussion area of that web site. Note that this different link shows that the post was originally in General Discussion.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/128...he_Basics.html

Quote Originally Posted by TexBuckeye View Post
    Criminals almost always work in groups - if you show what you have to the one you see, the ones you don't see know also. You've also just shown that you have something of serious value to them, either for street cred or to sell. Previously you might have $100 in your wallet and a ring or two - now you have a $500 to $1000 pistol. If they are as heartless as he says, the one behind you will shoot in the back of the head to take your pistol.

Southnarc in his Managing Unknown Contacts lessons and Crafty Dog in Die Less Often both teach to not telegraph your capabilities or attention. You're likely outnumbered, and surprise is a major weapon for you. You can get their DVDs and get a different treatment of this issue. I'm not saying the author of this is wrong, just that he's directly opposite what Southnarc and Crafty teach.

I do think the "bluff" is a viable tactic. (Although it's not really a bluff if you can and will carry out your threat).
    Maybe "hard target indicator" would be better than "bluff".
    The one I've used the most is the quick pat/touch of the folder clipped in my pocket.
    It's one of those implied threats that tends to register in the feral mind, yet doesn't give away that I have a gun.
    All the advantages of a threat display (folding knife) without showing my trump card (gun).
    It also conveniently places my hand in a good AIWB draw position.
    It tells the badguy that I have a knife, I checked my knife, and he might get cut if he tries me.

I'm a fan of the pre-emptive draw, but not a fan of using the gun as a brandish/threat.
    I may pre-emptive draw to give myself an advantage, but optimally the first thing the bad guy sees of my gun is the muzzle flash.
    Other than that I think the article was well written.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-08-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List