Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting threat analysis about armed robbers

I read the article and found it enlightening. One thing that struck me was how callous these people are. Then I found this website and wow it seems a lot of the info was played out in actual crimes. http://www.lexingtonprosecutor.com/death_row.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    If you've been through instruction with SouthNarc or Tom Givens you've heard most of what was posted...but unfortunately there aren't many who have.

What's surprising is that so far there hasn't been anyone disagreeing with everything the man said based on their extensive experience of having gone to a 7-11 at 2 AM that one time. Yet.

It'll happen. Eventually. And I'll die a little inside and wonder why we don't have the ability to punch someone in the face over TCP/IP yet.
    Well, after 23 years in the dojo, I can tell you that ANYONE wearing shoes around me, obviously means me harm. So when I see shoes, I grab my yellow track suit and nunchakus and go all WATTTAAAA on those shoe wearing homies
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

If you've been through instruction with SouthNarc or Tom Givens you've heard most of what was posted...but unfortunately there aren't many who have.

What's surprising is that so far there hasn't been anyone disagreeing with everything the man said based on their extensive experience of having gone to a 7-11 at 2 AM that one time. Yet.

It'll happen. Eventually. And I'll die a little inside and wonder why we don't have the ability to punch someone in the face over TCP/IP yet.
    Waingro may have only been a character in a movie, but he's real.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I thought his take on when to draw was quite interesting and one of the aspects of his analysis that was somewhat outside much conventional wisdom. It certainly factors in with the long thread here about the utility of a fast draw. Fast is always better than slow etc etc but in the hand early is really fast.

A great co-read to this would be Coopers essay "The Deadly American" in the context of "being willing". I'm not aware of that essay being on line. Just in his book: "Fireworks".

Then a big wow was the author's very un-PC take on alchoholic beverages; which happened to match my take on it. Which is why I stay away from those threads on forums.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

i thought that was a good read with some new interesting bits on mindset i hadnt heard before. i've heard before about being aggressive and bluffing but i hadnt heard the part about telling them you dont have a gun so they know you do.

^^ that part still doesn't make any sense to me, but I grew up in the 'burbs my whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    ^^ that part still doesn't make any sense to me, but I grew up in the 'burbs my whole life.
    Maybe this might help.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777
    Under stress people give off verbal and non-verbal cues about things they want to conceal.

Police officer: You have anything on you I should know about?
    Felon: Naw, man, I ain't got no gun!

The felon has just told the cop he has a gun. The same is true of the shirt-tail flap he mentioned. It's a non-verbal cue called a rehearsal movement....as in a movement somebody subconsciously does to rehearse drawing a handgun. There are other non-verbal cues that signal someone is working up to a criminal assault, but rehearsal movements are a big one.

By making a point of saying you don't have a gun, you're telling the guy who is sizing you up for a criminal assault that you have a gun. This may impact his decision to assault you.

I have no intention of telling someone I think is sizing me up for a criminal assault that I have a gun...but if I thought it would mean the difference between having to pull the trigger or not I might well indicate in the hopes it makes them knock it off.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/128...ge=1#i32250561

"No, I don't have a gun" is the sarcastic answer to the question that's going through the thug's mind from the time he saw you clear your cover garment. It's kind of like saying, "Just a little closer, that's a good boy" as you square up to him with your gun hand firmly on the grip.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    That guy is an idiot.

I don't know that I would endorse the idea of verbalizing that you have a gun. Somebody like Tom Givens or Southnarc or Nyeti would be better reads on the utility of that strategy. I'm sure it would scare off some lower order scumbags, but I don't think that it would phase the higher order predators you're most likely to have to shoot.

That guy is an idiot.

I don't know that I would endorse the idea of verbalizing that you have a gun. Somebody like Tom Givens or Southnarc or Nyeti would be better reads on the utility of that strategy. I'm sure it would scare off some lower order scumbags, but I don't think that it would phase the higher order predators you're most likely to have to shoot.
    It goes against what SN teaches. While you are bluffing the one guy, his buddy is moving in behind you and you just told him you have something of serious value.

User Tag List