Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Advice for the Smaller-Handed: Platform change to TDA, LEM, or stick with Strikers?

One other thing I learned the hard way is to try a pistol one is considering with the gloves you wear during winter. Even here in northern Alabama, we can see nighttime temperatures get into the upper teens to low twenties Fahrenheit, and I wear fairly thin gloves. The glove material can make a marginal gun much harder to shoot, and some gloves have enough excess material to get caught in interesting ways.

Tom_Jones discussed one other possibility for short fingers on the Glock: a shorter reach trigger on the Glock you already have. He mentioned that Overwatch Precision makes one with a shorter-than-normal reach that does not override the safeties. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Glock-triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Tom_Jones discussed one other possibility for short fingers on the Glock: a shorter reach trigger on the Glock you already have. He mentioned that Overwatch Precision makes one with a shorter-than-normal reach that does not override the safeties. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Glock-triggers.
    Perusing the Overwatch site... from the TAC and DAT descriptions "...The flat face reduces trigger reach by up to 0.25" depending on specific tolerances..." Is this what you mean? I didn't see a specific short reach (or similar phrasing) listing.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Perusing the Overwatch site... from the TAC and DAT descriptions "...The flat face reduces trigger reach by up to 0.25" depending on specific tolerances..." Is this what you mean? I didn't see a specific short reach (or similar phrasing) listing.
    It applies to all their triggers.

There are many trigger makers who shorten trigger reach. Many of those bypass the Glock's built-in safeties. Overwatch Precision is an exception; per Tom you get reduced trigger reach and Glock's safeties.

It's been awhile since I put my calipers on them but IIRC the minimum trigger reach on my G19 (to the center of the trigger safety tab) was 2.91 inches. If indeed Overwatch Precision triggers reduce reach by 0.25", then it appears the resulting reach would be 2.66", which is slightly shorter than that of the S&W M&P9 at 2.68". (I'm much less sure of the latter number.)

I thought about buying one but decided to concentrate instead of H&K P30, starting with the V1 LEM, which can be reduced below 2.8". I haven't pulled the trigger on this mod yet, however. (Yeah, I know - sorry.)
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 03-19-2018 at 08:27 PM.

The Overwatch Tac/Dat also indicates that pre-travel/over-travel are reduced without actually changing the weight of the pull... seems like it would be great drop in mod for smaller hands.

Is this something with which you guys are comfortable carrying for defense? Are there cons for that scenario using one of these?
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

1) Didn't get a chance to review all posts in this thread. But I have size S/M fingers, with size L palms, otherwise known as "farmer hands". And this makes finding a handgun that fits, a real challenge.

Here's what handguns shoot best for me:

CZ SP01 (with the safety, not the decocker).
    Browning Hi-Power
    Kahrs (of all sizes)
    39xx series Smith and Wessons
    Sig P210
    G17/34

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    One consideration for smaller hands besides grip size and shape is the control layout. The slide release levers and magazine release on HK's are easier for me to reach and manipulate than smaller controls on some other pistols.
    Absolutely true. I cannot manipulate the magazine release on any current production, polymer double-stack 9mm, without shifting my grip. Except an HK, because I use the left side release lever with my index finger (aka, I cheat).

The only gun on my list above I can release without shifting my grip is the Kahr.

___

In my experience the Kahr CW9/P9 is virtually perfect for my hands. It has, absolutely, one of the slimmest grips out there. I can shoot the gun accurate one handed as well as I can a 1911. I can shoot a 1911 marginally faster than the CW9, because of the added weight in the 1911, but the CW9 is stupid easy to carry concealed.

___

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here is a comparison of some of the guns that fit my size S hands.

From looking at this images, my guess is you probably shoot the CZ or the 320 a little better than the Glock or HK.

Advice for the Smaller-Handed: Platform change to TDA, LEM, or stick with Strikers?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    1) Didn't get a chance to review all posts in this thread. But I have size S/M fingers, with size L palms, otherwise known as "farmer hands". And this makes finding a handgun that fits, a real challenge.

Here's what handguns shoot best for me:

CZ SP01 (with the safety, not the decocker).
    Browning Hi-Power
    Kahrs (of all sizes)
    39xx series Smith and Wessons
    Sig P210
    G17/34

Absolutely true. I cannot manipulate the magazine release on any current production, polymer double-stack 9mm, without shifting my grip. Except an HK, because I use the left side release lever with my index finger (aka, I cheat).

The only gun on my list above I can release without shifting my grip is the Kahr.

___

In my experience the Kahr CW9/P9 is virtually perfect for my hands. It has, absolutely, one of the slimmest grips out there. I can shoot the gun accurate one handed as well as I can a 1911. I can shoot a 1911 marginally faster than the CW9, because of the added weight in the 1911, but the CW9 is stupid easy to carry concealed.

___

From looking at this images, my guess is you probably shoot the CZ or the 320 a little better than the Glock or HK.
    Good guess. All are really close, and I’m probably best with the guns I’ve been practicing with more. Other variables like trigger and grip shape affect my performance too. The P-07 grip shape is my favorite, and then the Glock. The p320 is too round IMO, and also doesn’t leave as much material for my support hand to grip on the left side. If I move up to a Med p320 gripframe, the trigger reach is a bit long.

I just find that Glocks suit me. Even a huge G20 works great for me.

The HK grip is fine but the gun feels all top-heavy and goofy to me because of being used to Glocks and CZs.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-22-2018 at 12:40 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I definitely vote for the P30sk in LEM. Gives you a lot in a little package, very smooth and comfortable shooter. Especially for its size. It also takes any of the P30/VP9 series mags. So you won't ever be down on capacity. There's a bunch of extensions available.

My partner is just shy of 5'2" and around 100lb. She has pretty small hands. We own a P30SK V1 LEM and a P2000SK V4 LEM in 9mm. She shoots both well, but the P30SK with the small grip panels fits her perfectly. She can run the firearm pretty fast without having to adjust her grip. The ambi-slide release/ stop on the P30SK allows her to reach them on each side, and she can drop mags using the pinch method. The P30SK is our newest HK pistol, so we only have around 1,500 rounds through it but it has been extremely reliable and accurate. It was the best option for her concerning: fit, reliability, capacity, shoot-ability, conceal-ability, accuracy, and confidence. She trusts it, and shoots it well. We tried a dozen quality handguns, a half-dozen at length, before settling on the P30SK. Please shoot one if you have the chance. We hope this is helpful.

User Tag List