Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for the Smaller-Handed: Platform change to TDA, LEM, or stick with Strikers?

Advice for the Smaller-Handed: Platform change to TDA, LEM, or stick with Strikers?

I am looking for data points/opinions about possibly making a platform change. The purposes are for carry, HD, and getting enough range/training time to keep improving. I like shooting and carry as a private citizen, with no military or LE experience/training. I live a low-threat lifestyle (and pray it stays that way), but would like to be prepared if things get unintentionally exciting.

I have been carrying a Glock 19 Gen4 for over 18 months, and have just over 5,500 rounds through it. I run the gun well enough, and feel like it is about the biggest gun I can comfortably carry, but have some challenges due to having smaller hands (think size Small in Mechanix gloves). When gripping the pistol, I find I rotate it slightly to the right (right-handed) to get what feels like a good purchase on it. I also find I push shots to the left at times, as getting enough finger on the trigger is a challenge as well. When performing magazine changes, I also break my grip more than I think is ideal to rotate the gun back slightly left to reach the button, then back slightly right to reacquire my shooting grip.

The end result is that with enough dry fire and actual shooting, I am reasonably proficient and confident with the G19. It just takes more concentration and range time to be as consistent as I like. However, I have found I run S&W M&P pistols a bit better with the small backstrap installed. Same thing for the H&K P2000 and P30 (with small inserts all the way around).

This has led me to contemplate making a change, especially as it relates to carry. Another factor is that I do not currently carry AIWB, but am thinking about going that direction as an option when I can (and as soon as a few more pounds come off my middle-aged frame).

Below are some options I am considering. I would appreciate any insights, opinions, and advice anyone cares to offer to help me decide on a course of action. I am not averse to having one pistol for carry, and a nother, larger one for HD (e.g., M&P 2.0 Compact or Shield for carry, and an M&P with 5" barrel for HD). Thanks in advance for your time!

1) Stick with the Glock platform. Either keep the G19 (and add a Gadget for AIWB when the time comes), or go single-stack and get a G43. Frankly, the smaller Glock shoots just fine for me, even if a tad bit "squirmier." The slimmer profile makes for a more consistent grip, and easier operation of the controls as I can reach the trigger and magazine release more readily.

2) Switch to the S&W M&P 2.0 series. Again, stay G19-sized with the Compact, or go single-stack with the Shield 2.0. I don't know whether to go TS or non-TS. The TS on the Shield sucks in my experience renting one a few times, but works on the Compact. I could go non-TS, but forget AIWB, or go TS, and learn to become proficient with it.

3) Switch to the H&K P2000, or P30SK. The reason I pick the P30SK versus the P30 is that the P30 is "just" a bit bigger than the G19, and I am not sure I could carry it as confidently. I do like the ability to modify the grip in many ways though. Additionally, if I go the H&K route, which variant/operating system? If LEM, which? Or, go TDA with some changes others suggest here to lighten/smooth out the DA trigger?

4) Switch to Walther pistols. The PPQ versus PPQ SC is kinda like the P30 versus P30SK above, where the PPQ might be outside my comfort zone for carry, but the SC would be doable. However, no functionality to make AIWB an option (IMHO due to concerns over carrying that way without a hammer/safety/Gadget), although the PPS M2 has the "Gadget-like" indicator.

5) Something else that you know about, or would recommend, but I haven't thought of or tried.

Have you considered sending your Glock 19 off to somewhere like Cold Bore Customs or Boresight Solutions for a grip reduction? If you like the Glock family of weapons, that would allow you to stick with Glocks while getting them more suited to your hand size. How much better do you run the M&Ps and the other guns you've tried? What are the metrics you're using to compare?
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 03-14-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: misread the OP and offered advise that had already been done
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

"When gripping the pistol, I find I rotate it slightly to the right (right-handed) to get what feels like a good purchase on it. I also find I push shots to the left at times, as getting enough finger on the trigger is a challenge as well."

This is good evidence that a G19 is just too thick/fat/large for your hands.

The yardstick I use to gauge whether a gun fits or not is the shooter's ability to shoot the gun accurately with just one hand. If that can be accomplished, then the issue of shooting at speed can be determined. Shooting with both hands masked a lot of fit issues and it's not until to really work the gun SHO and WHO can you really tell whether the guns fits well enough to maximize your abilities.

I would suggest you do some one-handed drills and just be honest with yourself about what that reveals.

I will say this; most people that I encounter shoot a gun that's too thick/fat/large for them, they just don't do enough realistic one-handed shooting to come to terms with that reality.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

One consideration for smaller hands besides grip size and shape is the control layout. The slide release levers and magazine release on HK's are easier for me to reach and manipulate than smaller controls on some other pistols.

Try to find a Sig 225 to try. I love mine and also have small hands.

I’m a lefty, new to guns in 2014, size M hands, and have recently started carrying a G19.5, so I can relate.

In no particular order:

I shot and carried a P30SK LEM V1 for 726 rounds including a Tom Givens class. I could not get used to the LEM. This may have been because my other gun at the time was a VP9, and I was shooting both.

I did not find the G19 Grip much different in circumference to the P30SK. However the much more square grip of the G19.5 is much easier to maintain recoil control, for me.

I briefly owned a Walther PPS M2 however dropped the mag a couple times due to the non ambi release being outboard as a lefty. Plus I didn’t really warm up to 6/7/8 round Capacity, for the carry weight.

I shot an M&P 2.0 Compact recently, and was very impressed. Aside from the hinged trigger, I liked it a lot.

Lot of good choices out there, seems like if you get a chance to go shoot a bunch of rentals, you’d get a good comparison with your G19.4.

I had the same problem. I went to the vp9sk and love it, especially with the paddle mag release.

I have debated going to a p30sk lem trigger, for the added safety of carrying aiwb.

I also have a hard time with tda regardless of the size of the gun, because of the reach.

Lastly, I did send a G19 to Robars and they do a grip reduction and trigger undercut and the G19 feels way better. I still suck. And it's an expensive option, as much as buying a new gun (I also did the NP3 coating, cost of shipping, etc.)

I think the p30sk V1 is the best of both worlds, if you can get used to the trigger. I can't find one to rent to see for myself.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Qaz98; 03-14-2018 at 12:46 PM.

I bet my hands are smaller than yours.

I shoot G19s much less well than G17s. I would try one, and then think about getting one cut down. The G19X is also a possibility.

I shoot 1911s a little better than G17s. I carry both (G17 in winter because of the greater capacity, lightweight commanders in summer because of the concealability in a t shirt).

I do not shoot P30s particularly well. I get along very well with High Powers and P7s but I don't feel they have a ton of relevance.

I have no interest in striker fired pistols that don't have gadgets on them, so I have no experience with the VP9, Walther, or M&P.

One of my girls definitely has hands smaller than yours. She cannot make a G19 run, but a G43 works fine.

I wear small Mechanix gloves, but Gen4 G19's fit me perfectly. I wonder if your grip could be the difference? When I have a good strong hand grip, it feels like my hand is stretched across the backstrap of the gun. If you can run the trigger straight back, and manage recoil, that satisfies the main requirements. Shifting your grip to hit the mag release isn't a dealbreaker.

Of the other striker fired options you mentioned, the VP9 is the only one I would consider.

Most of the TDA guns I've handled have a longer trigger reach in DA than striker fired guns.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-14-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

One other remark, my wife (5’2”) struggles with the G19 grip but really liked the VP9SK we rented a few weeks ago.

She said it was the first gun she shot that felt ‘right’ to her. I tried it out and put five round in a quarter sized hole COM at 5 yards. Not that that is great but for me, damn, it was a nice shooter.

My guess is that our P30SK LEM will get traded in for a VP9SK here shortly.

User Tag List