Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which gun to take...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    i do have a larger (1350?), fluorescent orange pelican case that I could throw the gun and box in.
    Actually, the orange case will also fit a few simple medical kits, a torque wrench, a breaker bar, some more mags....

For those still curious I think I’ve settled in taking my G17 - a little cheaper to replace than the 19, and definitely a pistol I could do without if it got lifted. Not a gun I carry often if ever, andstill fits in all my normal AIWB holsters. Plus I man pretty sure I have a bottomless supply of mags and 9mm hst this point...

@Nephrology, Pelican is definitely the way to go. I addition you can make it a larger pain in the ass for anyone wanting to pilfer by doing this.

Attachment 24455

I can't get to my Pelican but I did the exact same thing as depicted in the Samsonite. I went to an automotive store and picked up the mounts for routing cables I used three different types of screws and mounted them to the inside of the pelican like you seen in my old setup. Between getting into the pelican and then having to cut or strip the cable it will at least make it a royal PIA for someone to get it. Also there is a good thread on here someone posted a much better case. I think it was a manual lock (approved for DHS) that is much harder to get open and you could probably even bolt it to the inside of the pelican.

Oh, and definitely take the Glock. I'd rather have 16 on board and be comfortable.
    Last edited by Mike C; 03-15-2018 at 09:41 AM.

August of 2012 my brother and I drove from Boston (home) to San Diego (his new duty station) in his black Camaro SSII. The then-issued Glock 23 was carried appendix in a 17-length Archangel and was plenty comfortable. That was a fun trip.

The larger Pelican models have larger shackle holes that will accept 8mm (diameter) shackle padlocks. Quality padlocks let you relax. The thing about Abloy Protec 2 padlocks on a large Pelican is, when you see it on the baggage carousel - and the locks are still intact - you can rest assured that it's contents are still there too. Even when your bag has been delayed, you'll have confidence that NOBODY is going to get into your case.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    August of 2012 my brother and I drove from Boston (home) to San Diego (his new duty station) in his black Camaro SSII. The then-issued Glock 23 was carried appendix in a 17-length Archangel and was plenty comfortable. That was a fun trip.
    I've found the Archangel to be the most comfortable AIWB holster for long car rides. It doesn't conceal quite as well for me, but if I'm going to be in the car all day, concealment doesn't really matter that much.

Well, I kind of enjoyed packing for this trip...

The box, locked with 2x Abus 1/4"-1.5" padlocks. They were cheap, decent, prime eligible. In hindsight I would've gone with the 1" shackle length but I don't think anyone will get anything out of that gap...

Colored one orange to differentiate which key goes where...

Oh look, a warm sweater (doubles as lid protector)

Oh

2x comptac single mag pouches, 1x double magpouch, JMCK wing clw 2.5 AIWB holster w/ wedge. I actually use the Seraph more these days but the JMCK is more comfortable, at the cost of concealment.

Glock 17, 5x 15rd magazines (empty, because United's ammo policy is indecipherable so I decided to play it safe and pack 2x 50rd boxes of 147gr Federal HST separately as per above)

Booboo kit

NAR IFAK

Anyone fly with United before? I was going to bring loaded mags but their ammo policy was so dumb I decided to stick with original manf. box. I hope they deem this sufficiently "protected against shock and secured against movement."
    Last edited by Nephrology; 03-16-2018 at 12:02 AM.

Per your pic, I can't tell whether or not your Glock is loaded. The screeners won't be able to tell either.

If, on the other hand, you remove the magazine and include a cable lock and a chamber flag on the pistol, you'll save a lot of time and aggravation. You'll sail through.
    Last edited by Wendell; 03-17-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Per your pic, I can't tell whether or not your Glock is loaded. The screeners won't be able to tell either.

If, on the other hand, you remove the magazine and include a cable lock and a chamber flag on the pistol, you'll save a lot of time and aggravation. You'll sail through.
    I typically made it even easier by field stripping the gun and putting the slide, barrel and frame in the case in a way that it would be super easy to tell it was in pieces on x-ray. I was also in the habit of popping the slide lock out of my Gun, and placing it, and another spare in two different places in my checked bag and carry on. That way anybody who did steal the gun would be in for some disappointment.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 03-17-2018 at 02:39 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post

When I fly, my handgun (either a G19 or Walther PPS) is fitted into the foam of its Pelican case with the slide locked to the rear, and two empty mags. Ammo is stored in its own little Pelican case as well, because I’ve had both factory cardboard boxes and plastic reloading boxes fail spectacularly. The handgun case is secured with two combo locks, and I have a third spare lock that I keep in the luggage in case one of the locks fail, which has also happened to me before. The ammo box is not locked.

The outside of the handgun case also has a clear plastic envelope to hold the declaration.

In this manner, I have flown to 15-20 different cities a year on 2-3 different airlines for the last 3-4 years, and never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List