Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Special Circumstances Knives legitimate?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUZENE View Post
    My same experiece. I did eventually get what I ordered, well out of lead time and after a lot of time consuming work to re-find him and get a response. I received an explanation from him and I understand shit happens. During my experience some of his communication issues seemed tech/tech skill related.

But if a few people are starting to mention these issues, I start to see red flags.

His work is excellent and innovative and I've spent time with him in person. He's good company and I'm glad to hear whatever happened that prompted that facebook post went his way. I have decided not to purchase anything else unless he comes up with another way to buy such as a credit card on an already made item. That's unfortunate likely more for me than it is him due to his popularity. I don't think his intentenions are nefarious though, but the end result is the same for people having trouble after sending funds.
    How did you eventually reach him? Did you just keep sending him emails/Facebook messages until he responded? I don't see how he hasn't checked his email in the last 5 months unless that email address has been deactivated. Facebook says he hasn't read my messages. He hasn't posted anything on his page for almost a year, so I'm not sure if he still uses it.
    Last edited by js475; 03-25-2018 at 10:59 AM.

If this is directed at me, I'm sorry. I've never really been involved with forums, so "forum etiquette" is still new to me. I just want to get this whole situation resolved as respectfully as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    How did you eventually reach him? Did you just keep sending him emails/Facebook messages until he responded? I don't see how he hasn't checked his email in the last 5 months unless that email address has been deactivated. Facebook says he hasn't read my messages. He hasn't posted anything on his page for almost a year, so I'm not sure if he still uses it.
    He had more than one gmail account at the time. After trying him on his public one specialcircumstancesinc@gmail.com, I filed a dispute on the platform I paid with. However, I do not mean to imply the dispute that was what alterted/prompted him. Between the payment dispute, a few other things and digging up his personal (?) email, which I do not feel right in posting, I was able to get a reply from his personal (?) email and he made things right.
    Last edited by SLUZENE; 03-25-2018 at 03:39 PM.

I’m not waiting a year for anything, much less after paying and getting zero communication.

I appreciate those who close books and refuse to accept new orders while filling standing orders.

Just me, and my standards do not necessarily apply to others. Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUZENE View Post
    He had more than one gmail account at the time. After trying him on his public one specialcircumstancesinc@gmail.com, I filed a dispute on the platform I paid with. However, I do not mean to imply the dispute that was what alterted/prompted him. Between the payment dispute, a few other things and digging up his personal (?) email, which I do not feel right in posting, I was able to get a reply from his personal (?) email and he made things right.
    That's the email I've been trying to contact him on with no luck. Would you feel comfortable sending me a PM with the other email you used? If that's not allowed either then please disregard.
    Last edited by js475; 03-25-2018 at 04:29 PM.

FYI, a friend waiting for some time just got his items last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Welp, count me in as one of the people that paid up front (in Dec. 2016) and hasn't received a response, refund, or product. I wanted to wait and give benefit of the doubt. But having just come across this thread, I guess I should kiss the $$ goodbye. That burns.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Welp, count me in as one of the people that paid up front (in Dec. 2016) and hasn't received a response, refund, or product. I wanted to wait and give benefit of the doubt. But having just come across this thread, I guess I should kiss the $$ goodbye. That burns.
    Having spoken at length with Ian, I believe that he is / will make things right. Having some mutual friends, I don't doubt his integrity... I've got one of his blades and have been waiting for a while on a different design, too.

We waited for the SCD... Give Ian some time to get family / life in a better direction and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

FWIW, three friends have had similar stories and at least two have received their products. The third I believe has as well as they've stopped discussing it in a group chat. That doesn't help the communication issues but it's still a net positive.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The "good, bad and ugly" subforum at Bladeforums is full of reports of knifemakers that had a little success (probably doing it part-time) that started taking money up front for knives and then disappeared.

Or stopped communication with people that had paid up front but still sold new knives on Instagram.

I think "good dudes" do bad things because:

(1) the temptation to put off making already paid-for-knives is too great when you can make knives to sell immediately for new cash flow.

(2) there's a big difference between part-time knife making when you can take your time and make everything perfect, and being a full-time knife maker and trying to make batches of knives in a hurry.

No knife is so special to me that I need to pay the maker up front.

User Tag List