Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal HST !24gr. issue

Federal HST 124gr. issue or just a fluke.

I was at the range this past Sunday shooting a brand new VP9. Just got finished shooting 250 rds. of American Eagle 124gr. fmj with absolutely no issues. Figured I would finish out the day with running a bit of my normal carry round through it. I recently purchased this batch of Federal HST 124gr. and had fresh 50rd. boxes. I load up a full mag and proceed to fire the first round. Well.. it went pop instead of bang. Recoil was .22 like. I was sure I had a squib stuck in my barrel but starring at the target I had a hole in my new index card. I saw the slide cycle but barely. Case was still chambered. I cleared the gun and inspected it and the casing. All appeared good so I proceeded to finish the magazine the rest of that box and another 100 rds. The other 149 rds. worked as expected.
    I know it happens and it could have been worse. All my actual carry ammo is case gauged or plunk tested in one of my HK barrels including the 150rds I fired. I am thankful this happened on the square range instead of real life. That could cause some real problems. I haven't contacted ATK and probably won't. Unfortunately I don't have the case lot # only the individual boxes are left.I thought hard about posting and may not be in the right spot (Mods please move if needed) but I figured it might be a possible bad batch floating around.
    Last edited by CDFIII; 03-13-2018 at 06:03 PM.

Yeah it happens from time to time, I had same issue with a hornady round in the wife's ole .380 , just be glad it was at the range and the round made it out the barrel..

Site Supporter
    My one and only squib was with HST. Shit happens. It didn't hurt my confidence in carrying it. I did ditch that box just to be on the safe side.

Had a dead primer in some Remington Golden Saber Bonded. Shit can happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you make a few million of anything and you'll make a few bad ones...
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

The shooting gods have spoken and they want you to practice malfunction drills.

I had a similar problem years ago with some Remington 9mm in my Glock 19. I decided to was time to change my carry ammo so when I got to the range, after setting up, I attempted to fire off the first round. I had a click instead of a bang. I racked the slide and pulled the trigger and click again. At this point I unloaded the pistol, thinking there was something wrong with it. The pistol was fine so I reassembled it and fired off the rest of the magazine. So yes, the first two rounds of my carry ammo were duds. I stopped off at a sporting goods store on the way home and bought two fresh boxes some Federal JHP's to get me through until I could get something better.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Was talking this week with a large city PD in the DFW area about QC issues with duty and training ammo. After considerable discussion, we noted that Remington and Winchester seemed to be the worst and Federal and CCI the best. All of them are staffed by human beings, which will complicate perfection.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    These are the same observations made by my small department. When we switched from the G22/23 to the G19/17 we selected, based upon data from the FBI BRF, the Winchester RA9B. During training and qualification prior to issue, we found that about 2/50 rounds from one of the date codes was going "pop" instead of "bang". Sample boxes were pulled from each date code and we found velocity variations from (going by memory) 400-960fps. Winchester was very good about it. We are not a huge customer but they took care of us as though we were a department purchasing half a million rounds annually. Ultimately we switched to Gold Dot and then to HST. 8 years later with ATK products, no similar issues in about 80k (ish) rounds.

Concur with Wayne Dobbs above...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List