Thread: Desirable Difficulties in Training article

Desirable Difficulties in Training article

I recently got this article via Kevin B. He uses this info in the design of his standards and "tests" and training he designs and delivers.

There is a LOT to unpack here. There appears to be so much that is applicable to any and all learning that I'm sharing it widely with teacher friends and parents of wee ones.

But I'm just scratching the surface re how to use the concepts solo in my own shooting work. It this has another thread, I've missed it.

Sections:

1. The Spacing Effect

2. The Testing Effect

3. Delaying Feedback

4. Interleaving

5. Training Under Pressure

6. What Makes Difficulty Desirable?

7. Implementing Desirably Difficult Training

https://www.forcescience.com/2022/09...ill-retention/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I recently got this article via Kevin B. He uses this info in the design of his standards and "tests" and training he designs and delivers.

There is a LOT to unpack here. There appears to be so much that is applicable to any and all learning that I'm sharing it widely with teacher friends and parents of wee ones.

But I'm just scratching the surface re how to use the concepts solo in my own shooting work. It this has another thread, I've missed it.

Sections:

1. The Spacing Effect

2. The Testing Effect

3. Delaying Feedback

4. Interleaving

5. Training Under Pressure

6. What Makes Difficulty Desirable?

7. Implementing Desirably Difficult Training

https://www.forcescience.com/2022/09...ill-retention/
    Good article.

It is consistent with what we know about learning. It’s also why USPSA is very effective over square range drills and why online training courses can be more effective than a bolus immersion class of 1500 rounds in a weekend.

The one thing I would caution about over-extrapolating the “delayed feedback” section.

This shouldn’t be taken to mean that delaying internal feedback is the goal. It’s the delay of EXTERNAL feedback.

Like looking at match results afterwards, not ignoring your real time self assessment. It’s also why reviewing match video in the context of the delayed feedback is powerful.

Kind of like some of the special forces selection stages where they have to keep pushing but don’t know if it’s good enough until later.

@vcdgrips if you read the article in the context of what we know about old school pistol class structure you can see why that type of learning has weaknesses built into it.

There is a lot of empirical support for using random/variable practice as opposed to block/constant to markedly increase skill retention.

Traditional practice sessions are structured around doing repetitions of a discrete skill, then doing another set of reps on another skill. This is intended to make the execution of a discrete skill more accurate and ingrain it to the level of unconscious competence. This is known as Block serial practice.
    But after acquiring the basic skill, learning slows dramatically. You are essentially taking a test repeatedly. Asked to multiply 5x5, the first repetition requires you to think, but to ask it again immediately elicits a rote answer. This improves performance during the practice session, but this isn't always demonstrated on the day of the test.
    A method that dramatically improves test day performance is Variable practice. In this method you execute a skill once, then change to another skill and so on until you've cycled through your training plan.Then repeat the cycle. This is Variable Serial practice.
    This lowers performance on each rep, but actually results in higher performance on game day. This is because you're being forced to retrieve the skill program from memory on each repetition. More attention is required and the brain is engaged to a greater degree. The result is better On Demand execution.
    An additional technique is Random practice. This is where the discrete skills are practiced in a random order unknown to the student. This increases the difficulty of accessing the neural programs to execute the skill, which begins to approximate what happens on gameday: a series of variable skill executions done in a dynamic and shifting environment.
    There are nuances and variations to this including reversion to Block practice for remediation, but the research is quite compelling.

Examples in shooting are changing distance for each rep, changing the starting position of your hands, the number of shots, target difficulty, adding turns and pivots, Freestyle and strong hand only etc.
    Just by interleaving these variables and using a card system to randomize the drill order you can experiment with this. Expect to see a reduction in performance at first, as you are essentially shooting each drill Cold, so your results will be lower. But as you progress, your performance on Cold tests will improve.
    Doing it cold is doing it on demand.

@feudist another reason I love USPSA for training. The test is not of your own choosing.

You work component parts in practice but the “test” is a pop quiz of anything. And graded against your peers.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @feudist another reason I love USPSA for training. The test is not of your own choosing.

You work component parts in practice but the “test” is a pop quiz of anything. And graded against your peers.
    Exactly.
    A match can also be viewed as a Random/Variable practice session.
    I think that's a reason why quite a few guys become very good competitors who only shoot multiple matches monthly and never practice much. They won't reach the higher levels, but they can deliver on demand.

This thread deserves way more attention than its currently received.

That is a fascinating article. My training will change significantly, starting with my dryfire session tonight.

Hammertime
    Great article for learning in general. Loved it. Thanks for posting.

User Tag List