Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Total All round Dry Fire / Laser system

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I decided to start with the LASR setup, but I went with an IR cartridge and camera I can use with CoolFire and Smokeless Range if I decide to go that route later. I like that with LASR I can easily move the setup from place to place in my home or garage to work different things, exactly as I do now with low tech dry fire.

Any updates on what everyone is using and if you are happy? I’m wanting to work on first shot from draw/press outs. At the range I’m pushing shots right on press outs.

Banned
    I have LASR with a laser ammo IR cartridge and CoolFire with IR laser. I’m very happy with both; LASR does well with both. Because I run TDA pistols the CoolFire setup is very useful. Sometimes I do DAO work with the laser ammo cartridge and it does seem to have the ability to be used at longer distances with better accuracy, but I still need to manually rezero the CoolFire laser.

I purchased a Glock Coolfire setup, but my Glocks are in gunsmith purgatory at the moment. I plan to combine them with a MantisX once I get them back in my hands.

I have Stoeger’s book, and have found it to be very useful. I’d also like to get Evan’s and Anderson’s book. I dry fire daily, it’s a hobby like shooting is to me. In addition to the 1/3 size scale targets, I’d like to try those reactive laser targets.

Both Gabe White’s dry fire safety guidance and drills, as well as John Correia’s ASP Extra content have been helpful to me.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I thought it might be worth bringing this post back to life as most of us are limited now in our ability to get out and shoot. I intellectually know that regular dry fire will improve my shooting skill set, but emotionally, I know will struggle to keep it up. Maybe one of the below options may help, a bit? I am looking at:

https://www.dryfiremag.com/product/dryfiremag-g9x19-2/

seems like a low opportunity cost to get me motivated to start dry firing. Is anyone else researching options? Has anyone recently started dry firing in earnest? For those who regularly do,any good habits/lessons to pass on?

https://coolfiretrainer.com/

Cool Fire Trainer has my interest piqued too, albeit a more expensive set up. If running a GLock or M&P, is the SIRT still a great option?

Banned
    I’m just repeating myself but I use CoolFire every non live fire day, and have done for some months and like it a lot. It has seen a whole lot of use. I mostly use it with an ir laser and LASR, but sometimes I use it without, old school style. I rezeroed the laser and it’s really very accurate. I go through a lot of striker tips (what your firing pin strikes) and needed new batteries in the laser recently after many thousands of laser “shots.”

using LASR means all shots are timed and accounted for objectively.

I haven’t used the sirt laser AR bolt I got yet, but will soon, when I get at least one functional AR how I want it.

eta I can say *my* shooting has improved because of it, without a doubt. There are many options and this is just one or I guess two (CoolFire and LASR ).
    Last edited by Medusa; 04-14-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    I thought it might be worth bringing this post back to life as most of us are limited now in our ability to get out and shoot. I intellectually know that regular dry fire will improve my shooting skill set, but emotionally, I know will struggle to keep it up. Maybe one of the below options may help, a bit? I am looking at:

seems like a low opportunity cost to get me motivated to start dry firing. Is anyone else researching options? Has anyone recently started dry firing in earnest? For those who regularly do,any good habits/lessons to pass on?

https://coolfiretrainer.com/

Cool Fire Trainer has my interest piqued too, albeit a more expensive set up. If running a GLock or M&P, is the SIRT still a great option?
    I dry fire maybe 20-45 minutes a day, 4-6 days per week, and have been doing so since last November. I use my USPSA gun and gear for 99% of the practice. I dry fire in a room with no live ammo, but I have taken other precautions as it only takes one mistake to really foul things up. The gun always stays unloaded unless I am at the range. All the mags that fit the gun stay unloaded as well, unless I am going to the range the next morning (in which case I dry fire and put the gun away before I load my mags). I have one mag I use that is filled with realistically weighted dummy rounds, which have nickel plated cases to make it clear they aren't my normal ammo. With these precautions I feel relatively safe as there is almost no chance I could load the gun, become distracted, and have a ND.

When I practice with my carry rig, I have a 2nd Glock that has different sights from my actual carry gun. Didn't really do this on purpose but I figure it acts as one last reminder as to which gun I am aiming before I touch the trigger. The carry gun always stays loaded and I just transfer the practice Glock and empty mag into my carry holster and mag pouch. I personally do not carry around the house as I am concerned about the possibility of getting distracted and having a ND (forgetting if I have the gun loaded or not).

The biggest takeaway from practicing that I have had is that it is easy to get sloppy, basically flinging the gun up and not stopping precisely. That and not being honest about whether I beat a par time or finished at the end of the second beep. Obviously I try to pay attention to that, and I occasionally video myself just to see what I am doing from a different perspective. I'm looking to see if the muzzle of the gun stops still in a very controlled manner as I draw or finish a reload.

Eric Grauffel recently posted an Instagram video of him dry firing his draw and it's a perfect example of what it should look like, with the gun stopping perfectly still at full extension. https://www.instagram.com/p/B-6YMfxJ...d=kq7qkfp5sc54

How's the LASR working for those who have it two years on? Have you continued with it and/or have you seen benefits?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post

I bought the Dryfire mag years ago; with Irons it didnt really do much for me.

But then I got a RDS mounted to my pistol, and that really made the Dryfire Mag shine. The RDS works similar to a laser in that it shows exactly where the shot would land, and also clearly shows movement from poor trigger press. And then the Dryfire mag allows for multiple shot strings.

Heres a pic I took awhile ago, using the Dryfire Mag + RDS as a sort of 'indoor IDPA' target setup inside my house. Dryfire mag makes this a pretty fun practice session, which I think is key for maintaining interest.

For Irons / Point Shooting practice, I still love my SIRT, which I've had for about 8 years.

Site Supporter
    Has anyone tried the Strikeman System?
    --Jason--

User Tag List