Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best 223 bolt action "scout-ish" rifle

Can't get much more "Scout'ish" than a Steyr Scout in .223 or .243.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    So, does a small action bolt action exist that's in what I'd term traditional format, wood stock, fixed magazine with floor plate, standard direction safety, and available today or have basic support parts available?
    I think you're running up against the fact that the world isn't perfect. It may be that to get exactly what you want, you'll have to build it or have it built. Custom sucks, but sometimes it's the only way.

A custom bottom metal and internal magazine setup on a Howa Mini with a Boyd's stock might not be that expensive, depending on one's ability to build it. Having Jim Brockman build it would cost more.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Can't get much more "Scout'ish" than a Steyr Scout in .223 or .243.
    <shudder>
    This is one instance where looks matter.

I just got a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62 X 39. It's a gem of a carbine, and seems to be an absolute tackdriver-and that's with Wolf and Tula steel-cased cartridges. The supplied iron sights are actually quite nice, and the magazine is very easy to load.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    <shudder>
    This is one instance where looks matter.
    They ain’t pretty but they have great ergonomics for off hand field shooting. The trigger is good out of the box and the stock design seems to have been the inspiration for the Magpul bolt gun and shotgun stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They ain’t pretty but they have great ergonomics for off hand field shooting. The trigger is good out of the box and the stock design seems to have been the inspiration for the Magpul bolt gun and shotgun stocks.
    I agree. Unusual appearance, but nice trigger, and the ergonomics work so well that I have very nearly bought a Steyr Scout, in spite of being left-eye-dominant and left-handed. With the optic mounted forward, rather than in the normal position over the action, it is easier to reach over-and-across with the left hand to run the bolt.

A Steyr Scout certainly looks worlds better than a Glock, anyway.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-18-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Any more suggestions?

Cz527 in 223 is leading now, since I like my 7.62x39 version so much. Only thing I dislike would be the 5 round 223 mags. Just a bit more capacity would be great.

The ruger ranch that takes AR mags is tempting though I would need to send it out to get custom irons mounted.

Seen too many vids of unreliable Mossberg MVP operation for it to be considered.

I have a Savage in .223. I think it was marketed as their "hog hunter" model? 1:9 twist, 24" barrel with functional, if crude, barrel mounted iron sights. It was less than $400(used) at the gun show. The rear sight caused some problems when trying to mount a scope to it over the action. But, it is accurate with the 55gr ammo I've used in it. It uses a detachable 4rd magazine and has the Accu-Trigger, which I find to be nice to shoot (I'm not a trigger connoisseur though...). I've never seen spare magazines floating around locally and my online searches for spares yields results upwards of $60ea.

Since it is lightweight, light recoiling and easy to pull the trigger on, my wife has claimed it as "hers" and that's her rifle if she actually goes to the range(once every couple years).

What's the consensus on Savage rifles? Are they durable and can they be run hard?

The Savage 110 Scout in 223 looks intriguing. These take AICS magazines.
    https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110Scout

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    What's the consensus on Savage rifles? Are they durable and can they be run hard?

The Savage 110 Scout in 223 looks intriguing. These take AICS magazines.
    https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110Scout
    If you're sold on the forward mounted scope then Savage offers a lot of value in form and accuracy.

There are compromises in function for a small percentage of serious shooters. IMO the most significant issue is Savage's weak factory extractor design and parts quality. If not replaced at timely intervals the extracted cases will fail to eject and flop back into the action. The SSS extractor kit is a definite upgrade for the factory parts but still not as positive as a Mauser or even Sako type.

Non-controlled feed, sloppy bolt run, rear peep design and robustness, Accu-Trigger are other negatives but not really a factor for most of the Lower 48 shooters who buy a Savage.

If 110 still refers to use of a long action receiver then it's interesting they list only short action (and shorter) chamberings.

User Tag List