Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 223 bolt action "scout-ish" rifle

If it were my money....Q The Fix in .224 Valkyrie.
    #RESIST

Dad just picked up a Ruger American Ranch in 223 that is handy as hell. His has the rotary mags. I tried to talk him into the new version that takes AR magazines but he wasn't listening.

No iron sights on it, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I tried to talk him into the new version that takes AR magazines but he wasn't listening.
    That does look cool. I wonder if the bolt design is similar to the MOssberg MVP. Just from reading online, it seems like the MVP has issues where the shooter frequently has to jiggle the bolt in order to get the bolt to reliably feed and seat. If anybody has personal experience with the MVP or the new Ruger American Ranch especially with 10 round p-mags I'd love to hear it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    People over on 24HourCampfire really like their Howa Minis. I'd probably go that way over a CZ, just because CZs generally require some "break in" to be as smooth as a new Howa, and the price difference seems to be about $300+. Accuracy seems to float around the same level of excellence for both.

Williams has sights that work on standard Howas. The .375 Ruger versions came pre-drilled for them. Don't know about the Minis, but having a barrel drilled and tapped (for those, or any other sights of your choice) shouldn't be a problem with a competent smith.

Also like Tikkas.

My approach would be pick the rifle with the other characteristics you want, then worry about fitting sights and optics.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    That does look cool. I wonder if the bolt design is similar to the MOssberg MVP. Just from reading online, it seems like the MVP has issues where the shooter frequently has to jiggle the bolt in order to get the bolt to reliably feed and seat. If anybody has personal experience with the MVP or the new Ruger American Ranch especially with 10 round p-mags I'd love to hear it.
    I just got one of the AR mag ones in 300BLK. The bolt doesn't have a flap or anything like that. It's a normal RAR bolt with enough relief cuts on the bottom to let it turn w/o hitting the magazine.

I'm not sure if the AICS and AR mag versions have the same bolt. If they do you could swap the modules to switch types (the magazine module comes right out when you remove the action).

The fore end is also stiffer than the ones from a couple of years ago - the interior is honeycomb patterned instead of square compartments.

ETA: the reason the bolt works w/o a flap is because it's 3 lobed; when the bolt is moving forward one of the lobes is on the bottom and it fits between the mag lips and picks up the cartridge.
    Last edited by whomever; 03-13-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    People over on 24HourCampfire really like their Howa Minis. I'd probably go that way over a CZ, just because CZs generally require some "break in" to be as smooth as a new Howa, and the price difference seems to be about $300+. Accuracy seems to float around the same level of excellence for both.

Williams has sights that work on standard Howas. The .375 Ruger versions came pre-drilled for them. Don't know about the Minis, but having a barrel drilled and tapped (for those, or any other sights of your choice) shouldn't be a problem with a competent smith.

Also like Tikkas.

My approach would be pick the rifle with the other characteristics you want, then worry about fitting sights and optics.
    The larger Howas have issues with the bolt stop screw breaking off. Not sure if this applies to the minis as well.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The larger Howas have issues with the bolt stop screw breaking off. Not sure if this applies to the minis as well.

Okie John
    Yeah, that factory screw is a BS defective part, the only wart on the rifle. It's designed with stress risers, and is additionally made on a screw machine (fancy lathe). It is subject to have circumferential tool marks to add "crack here" lines to the inherently bad design. There's a solution, though. Just needs a shoulder bushing machined for use with the appropriate metric socket head cap screw, which will be grade 12.9 with rolled threads and a proper underhead radius. Many, many times stronger than the OE setup. The stock would have to be inlet for the screw head. A little fiddly, but not difficult if you have lathe access.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Yeah, that factory screw is a BS defective part, the only wart on the rifle. It's designed with stress risers, and is additionally made on a screw machine (fancy lathe). It is subject to have circumferential tool marks to add "crack here" lines to the inherently bad design. There's a solution, though. Just needs a shoulder bushing machined for use with the appropriate metric socket head cap screw, which will be grade 12.9 with rolled threads and a proper underhead radius. Many, many times stronger than the OE setup. The stock would have to be inlet for the screw head. A little fiddly, but not difficult if you have lathe access.
    Or you could just buy the CZ.
    Last edited by SteveB; 03-14-2018 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Tikka lite compact in 1/8 is a hoot, no irons tho. Shame they won't import something along the lines of the Battue Lite.
    As a data point, I just bought a Tikka .223 with the 1:8 twist barrel. I like the action, the design, and the accuracy. I will restock it at some point on my own, with a stock of my own design.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Interesting discussion. The Howa looks more attractive to me than the 527, but still leaves me wanting something else. Can anyone point me in the direction of a mini action bolt rifle with traditional fixed magazine, and safety that works as forward to fire? Id also prefer a wood stock.

I had a 527 about 10 or so years ago, i just never got to liking it. I didnt like the magazine sticking out where my hand wanted to be to carry it, the very limited scope ring options with their proprietary scope base system and too high rings for me, not bent quite enough bolt handle to get the scope very low, and to me, backwards safety. Nothing on the positive side about the gun was sufficient to get me to accept those things. Ive seen a Zastava mini-mauser, it looked good as far as how it was set up in regards to the things mentioned above, just not finished well, something i could deal with better than the functional things the 527 had. It seems the Zastavas arent coming in any more, or irregularly. Remington sold some guns based on their action, but I understand parts arent easy to get for them.

So, does a small action bolt action exist thats in what Id term traditional format, wood stock, fixed magazine with floor plate, standard direction safety, and available today or have basic support parts available?

User Tag List