Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best 223 bolt action "scout-ish" rifle

I really wanted to like the 527. I it a beautiful rifle, has sights, and I like the action. I liked them so much I have tried twice with them. My first was a 7.62x39. It was only so/so with surplus ammo and I had problems with light strikes. Magazines were also expensive and hard to find at the time, but the real deal killer for me was and is the safety. I really wish it was forward to fire. I sold this one off and got a .223. After a brief honeymoon, I can to the same conclusions and sold that one as well.

Having said that, every time I see one, I want one. They are a thing of beauty for sure.

I like the Rugers because they have been 100% with Golden Tiger ammo, the safety is forward to fire, they are more accurate than my CZ, and are a better rifle to be beat up in a truck. I was always hesitant to throw the CZ in the truck and head out for some desert exploring. Having said that, I complete understand why the CZ appeals to so many shooters.

I do feel that we are lucky to have so many choices right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I have a .223 Howa Mini that I never shoot mostly because I have 1500 HB set up as a precision rifle. I bought it with a light weight barrel which may not be offered anymore in the .223 Mini. I had no idea what I was buying at the time. Makes for a very light rife which I believe is one of the objectives for the scout concept. The action is drilled for scope mount or rail with no front sight.

The reason I don't like it mostly has to do with the LW barrel. It heats up pretty damn fast ( 4-5 rds) and it starts stringing the POI slightly. That wouldn't be a problem for a scout rifle but I'm not a scout I shoot from a bench.

We can't even hunt deer with a .223 in this state so it's pretty useless. About all it might be good for is a LW scout rifle. Might be a slick setup with a sling and a dot.
    I had the lightweight barrel version and sold it when I found a deal on the heavy barreled model. It is a lot of fun to shoot and fast cycling with the short stroke of the mini action.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Hope that front sight stays on! This looks like a winner

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Option for irons on Ranch Rifles
    I wonder if those are tall enough for use with a suppressor.

Well that settles it. I have to get a Ruger American Ranch rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Well that settles it. I have to get a Ruger American Ranch rifle.
    I had one that had horrible ejection. Sent it to Ruger. Came back with only awful ejection. Sold it.

If the purpose of the sights is for backup, I don't understand why someone would put irons on a $400 rifle. They are so many other things that could fail on a budget grade gun besides the optic.

My preference would be to start with a better rifle, put a scope that has a good reputation on it, and if you still have concern, install an offset RDS to handle the what-ifs.

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    I had one that had horrible ejection. Sent it to Ruger. Came back with only awful ejection. Sold it.
    Mine shot like a $375 rifle which is what I paid, even when I put match ammo in it. Pretty sure Ruger buys those stocks at Chinamart for $3. The one I had was sold to someone who had zero care about accuracy, just wanted a short range suppressor host.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I have not worked-out the weight part, but Uinta Precision has my attention. Fits onto AR15 lowers.

https://uintahprecision.com/
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List