Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shot a G19X this weekend at my AIWB skills class

I believe that Glock did something with G5 17/19/34/19X RSA function to make them shoot softer. That and the full grip are probably the magic sauce for the 19X.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My favorite Glock as of right now. Very soft and flat shooing. I'm not a fan of the sights that come on it as they are too wide for my liking. A new set of Heinie or Combet Precision sights will correct that issue����

Those that have shot the G5 17 how does it compare to the 19X? I've fired a G5 17 and found it very soft/flat shooting. I'm picking one up when I get off deployment among other things. I found it to be softer than my G4 G34, which I love and shoot often.

Site Supporter
    I have a 17.5 and a 19X. The felt recoil, that is to say the amount of recoil that I feel in the web of my shooting hand, is about the same in both pistols. The front sight tracks "flatter" on the 19X by a wide margin. The 19X's trigger is better than my 17.5 and for that matter, it is also better than the one in my 19.5. If you like the feel of the full frame and are not married to the idea of the full length bbl, the 19X has a lot going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    I have a 17.5 and a 19X. The felt recoil, that is to say the amount of recoil that I feel in the web of my shooting hand, is about the same in both pistols. The front sight tracks "flatter" on the 19X by a wide margin. The 19X's trigger is better than my 17.5 and for that matter, it is also better than the one in my 19.5. If you like the feel of the full frame and are not married to the idea of the full length bbl, the 19X has a lot going for it.
    Thanks for the insight. I like the full size slide better for the sight radius and velocity. I'm not sure I'll end up with a 19x, but based on what you're saying I might give it a second look. It felt nice in the store, but I wasn't sure if it was something I needed or not.

Site Supporter
    Its worth a second look. Perhaps the best data upon which to base your decision would be gained by shooting them side by side. My brain said there would be little difference in "shootability" between the two. The results were unexpectedly in favor of the 19X. It may also depend on the individual sample of each model. All Glock triggers are not the same in terms of quality and character. But... I always liked the commander size 1911. Carried a 4566 at work. I guess it stands to reason that I would like Glock's commander sized pistol.

No magic in the sauce, just a novel combination of features. I have two 19x's now and a 19.5 and the X's are my favorites. As well discussed a couple years back when the Roland was the hot new thing, the shorter 19 slide with the stiffer spring gives you a slightly faster, if not also more violent (for a 9mm) reciprocating slide. In terms of Roland builds, people liked that because with decent technique, it made the dot easier to track in the window. Same thing applies to irons. Some just find the 19 slide travel to be ideally "quick" and "flat." Then add into the mix that the 17 grip, with its differently located hump, does have a different feel than a 19. Because the hump is lower, if you have medium sized hands the circumference of a 17, including trigger reach will often feel smaller than on a 19. I like that. Lastly, the extra .75" in grip length give me a little more margin for error when first attacking the gun to build a master grip coming out of the holster. If I hit just a little too far down, I'm still hitting grip, and can slide my hand back up the tang of the gun before clearing kydex. Same miss with my 19, and I'm off the back end of the butt slightly and its a little slower and wonkier to correct.

For sake of variation, I dyed the frame of my second 19x with Rit dye after stippling it, and the results are superb. Now between that, my other X and the 19.5 I can put together any combination of color, sights, and frame length. Me likey.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    For sake of variation, I dyed the frame of my second 19x with Rit dye after stippling it, and the results are superb. Now between that, my other X and the 19.5 I can put together any combination of color, sights, and frame length. Me likey.
    Could you post of a pic of the Rit dyed 19x?

Top to bottom: 19x w/ Rit dyed frame, 19x dyed frame with my 19.5 slide on it, 19x slide on factory black 19.5 frame. The dyed polymer is indistinguishable from the factory black. Time will tell as to its wear properties.

Thanks. Those look great.

User Tag List