Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considerations when training in inclement weather

I get stoked about these development opportunities. I don't want any specialized, one time use or "class only" gear.

1. That said, bring what I need to make it through the class and avoid _crippling_ preoccupation with body discomfort or environment-related disability. Ibuprofen, hand warmers, gloves, true waterproof rain shell (armpit zippers, back vent, wrist velcro cinch are nice) w/o hood, full brimmed hat compatible with ear pro, knee pads, etc. Pistol decal grips (or what I need to apply them during lunch break), modified for my true day to day storage or carry.
    2. Permanently apply lessons learned to my carry and wardrobe.

I once took McNamara class in a balmy 40 weather, on a wide open range, with a wind blowing balls. Lube on my AR solidified a little and it didn't feed from a bolt locked back; showed me how SCAR was superior. What I remember from that was that I didn't mine challenging weather and elements while shooting and stuff but...
    Standing in a middle of this shit motionless and listening to Mac lecturing was fucking stupid. I don't think that any of us retained what he said. We just wanted either shoot, or go somewhere warm.
    Last edited by YVK; 03-12-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    For sure, rain drops the felt temperature a whole lot. But when it's 30 here in WI everyone thinks summer is starting and whips out the shorts so 70 sounds pretty badass.
    Sunny, 30, no wind . . . that does feel like summer.
    There's something about being damp and not quite freezing that often surprises me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    If it is really pouring you cannot easily overheat your rifle. Running a FAL and an AK hard in the rain proved that.
    You haven't lived until you try to qualify with a 16A2 in near-monsoon rain. The rain hitting the gas tube turned right into steam, which drifted right back onto my glasses and fogged them over. I cleaned my glasses and then had to blow the meniscus of water out of my rear sight aperture. When it came time to shoot the 100-meter targets we couldn't see them. Awesome training!

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    You haven't lived until you try to qualify with a 16A2 in near-monsoon rain. The rain hitting the gas tube turned right into steam, which drifted right back onto my glasses and fogged them over. I cleaned my glasses and then had to blow the meniscus of water out of my rear sight aperture. When it came time to shoot the 100-meter targets we couldn't see them. Awesome training!
    Except for the A2 part, that sounds like Basic at Fort Lost In The Woods in 1980...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Every time you shoot a Garand or M14/M1a in the rain the mechanism throws water in your face. FAL, AK, AR,HK 91 is not as bad, less external reciprocating parts.

On our final qual day for the Police Academy it was pouring rain. The kind of rain that wipers on fast don’t keep up with. My first two shots at 25 were in the breeze. I bore down and concentrated on the front sight. The last four were a two inch group dead center. It still sucked shooting in that rain. BDUs and T-shirt’s ...
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

If your running a pistol. Definitely some skateboard tape on grip and maybe even parts of slide. 1slow is right about holstering more carefully. Take your time, high register trigger finger and make double sure your holster is clear of clothing.

I’d also run my rain gear in dry practice to see how it affects my draw stroke and reholstering/reloads and other gear. Quick drying clothes are good if the rain isn’t going to be consistent otherwise it isn’t going to matter. Proper types/material clothing will insulate even when wet at least some better than others. Change of clothes and shoes are great for after. (Pocket hand warmers are nice for when you aren’t shooting). So are gloves or the right set for when you are shooting.

Keep in mind shoes/boots designed to keep water out work both ways and keep water in. I’m not a fan and have spent most of my life outdoors and in the elements. I want footwear that drains. Right socks and foot wear are important and can’t be understated. I like to layer clothing as well so I can downgrade for the appropriate level. Though the weather your talking about doesn’t sound awful. You definitely want to minimize discomfort so you can focus and learn as YVK pointed out.

Thanks for all the feedback and especially appreciate the reminder about reholstering safely.

I purchased a rain jacket so hopefully that will work well. Should it arrive in time, I'll get 1-2 days of dry fire at least to practice with it on.

Going to buy some hand warmers in case it's on the 50 degree side of things, and just bring extra changes of clothes to change into throughout the day & weekend, and will just suck up being soaked through with regards to pants/socks. At minimum it will give me a chance to test the limits of what gear I do have now, which won't be much, but will be helpful as I do want to get back into hiking/camping a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Looking at the weather for upcoming training indicates likelihood of rain. Temps 50-70 degrees. How would you recommend prepping for shooting classes in bad weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Going to buy some hand warmers in case it's on the 50 degree side of things,
    As long as you can still grab a breath, you train. You breathe...keep breathing.

Name:  revenant3.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  46.7 KB
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List