Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considerations when training in inclement weather

Having done a 2 day with Scott Jedlinski on Red Dot pistols in the weather that changed from rain, to cold rain to sleet and snow the most useful item for the 2 days was hand warmers. Also knowing the weather was going to be bad I wore wool socks and waterproof Wolverine boots. These two things helped me a great deal. It's a good opportunity IMO to train in inclement weather though, it'll show you where your weak areas are with your gear.
    David

Site Supporter
    Waterproof boots and frog toggs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more thing: just on the off-chance this is a precision rifle class, be aware that water in your breech or on your ammo can cause high pressures (flash boiling). Don't ask me how I know .... Spotter: "Come down... uh, 8 mils?"
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

70 degrees and raining sounds warm as hell.

Keep your feet dryish and you'll be fine, that's shooting weather.
    Last edited by Peally; 03-12-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I've been forced to do enough training in the cold, wet and crap weather I would never voluntarily do it....ever. I save my ammo and time for good weather. Today in the NW it is going to be 70 and sunny. I took the day off work just to go to the range and shoot hundreds or rounds. Probably my first "real" training day in months. Aside from dry fire....which is training too of course.

*If I had to train in bad weather I go full prepared. Rain pants, rain jackets, knee pads, gloves, space heater. If the range didn't have any kind of covered area I would bring my own rain shield/shad tent.

Again, I'd never do it on purpose but *if I did, I would probably spend most of the time shooting steel that cardboard because it's awful to tape in the rain.

FWIW a few years ago I took a Steve Anderson class in the spring and we had a drizzle from time to time and we popped up a sun shade to stay out of the rain.
    A71593

Lightweight, packable rain jacket that can be rolled up and stashed in a pack or cargo pocket when not in use. That's what I used for a September class when it rained off and on the last day. A simple poncho would suffice as well, barring monsoon-type rains.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Today in the NW it is going to be 70 and sunny. I took the day off work just to go to the range and shoot hundreds or rounds.
    Dude, I wish I could get away from work and join you.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Here is a screenshot from a video at the recent JJ class that YVK and I did.

Name:  6FAF09FA-1EF3-44A3-9730-751096B38753.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  103.1 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    70 degrees and raining sounds warm as hell.
    On the other end of the temperature range, 50F and raining can be astonishingly cold.

Quote Originally Posted by dkv View Post
    On the other end of the temperature range, 50F and raining can be astonishingly cold.
    For sure, rain drops the felt temperature a whole lot. But when it's 30 here in WI everyone thinks summer is starting and whips out the shorts so 70 sounds pretty badass.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List