Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Considerations when training in inclement weather

Considerations when training in inclement weather

Looking at the weather for upcoming training indicates likelihood of rain. Temps 50-70 degrees. How would you recommend prepping for shooting classes in bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Looking at the weather for upcoming training indicates likelihood of rain. Temps 50-70 degrees. How would you recommend prepping for shooting classes in bad weather.
    I like to wear quick drying clothes and underwear. Having wet nuts or a chapped ass really zaps ones concentration, I find. And a Goretex type jacket/parka is important too.

civiliandefender.com

Keep the feet dry as well.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Depends on what you're expecting to gain from the class, I suppose. If you hope to learn something that you'll use only on bright days, the rain is an impediment to learning: manage it. Shoot from a tent. Shoot between rain cells.

Or if you expect to use the new knowledge to hunt or fight, there's no need to manage the experience. Consider it a wonderful opportunity to test your skill set in inclement weather. Do you shoot at 60% of your Bright Day Max? 70%? How much accuracy are you losing? How are your split times affected?

Work right through the downpour. At the least you'll get a story out of it. "So there I was, trying to focus the 'scope when I saw the animals coming two by two . . ."

50-70 deg? That sounds like great weather! Who cares if it’s raining? At least you can feel your fingers.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Take a goretex jacket and get out there and run the gun.

As Duces said, embrace the suck. It a good way to test your gear and skills. A few things might help: microfiber towels in ziplock bags to dry hands and eyewear. Extra warm hat. Propane Buddy heater. Kangaroo handwarmer pouch. Thermos of hot coffee.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

This is the reason why I want to get one of those micro battle belts, to wear over a Gore Tex jacket in case of rain.

If it is really pouring you cannot easily overheat your rifle. Running a FAL and an AK hard in the rain proved that.

Working around the extra garment layer is instructive, be quite careful reholstering.

Whatever it takes to be comfortable. Either dry and warm or cool and hydrated. With a full, not stuffed belly. In ye olden revolver days days, I had a qual in 2 ft of snow and everyone had to present the 60 rounds of brass afterwards. Cold ass day digging for brass! Good times through!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List