Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Considerations when training in inclement weather

In the 16 years I was a trainer the only time I canceled range training was because we were under a tornado watch and the lightning was striking all around us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am astounded we made it to page 4 and no one has uttered the Army cliche, "If it ain't rainin', you ain't trainin'!"

Or made a reference to Light Fighter Weather, although so far as I know that only applies to @ranger and myself.

Back to the first post: Are you referring to logistical preparations, physical/mental/emotional preps, or something different? Is what is predicted seasonal weather, or is there a chance of unseasonal and/or extreme weather? (I.e., you need snow shoes in Texas...)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Back to the first post: Are you referring to logistical preparations, physical/mental/emotional preps, or something different? Is what is predicted seasonal weather, or is there a chance of unseasonal and/or extreme weather? (I.e., you need snow shoes in Texas...)
    I think more the former. I was looking at the weather forecast for TacCon and it looked like rain all 3 days. I was more worried with the temps bottoming out in the 50s, if I were soaking wet all day, for 3 days.

Other than a rain jacket, I am considering hand warmers + maybe plastic trash bags to keep my range bag dry. I realize my pants/socks/shoes will be wet, but as long as I'm not hypothermic I think I should be fine and if anything I'll learn what additional gear to buy after this.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I think more the former. I was looking at the weather forecast for TacCon and it looked like rain all 3 days. I was more worried with the temps bottoming out in the 50s, if I were soaking wet all day, for 3 days.

Other than a rain jacket, I am considering hand warmers + maybe plastic trash bags to keep my range bag dry. I realize my pants/socks/shoes will be wet, but as long as I'm not hypothermic I think I should be fine and if anything I'll learn what additional gear to buy after this.
    50 and rainy is normal weather around here 10 months of the year.

Consider your hat. Most of your body heat is lost through your head. You may want something in a billed cap that will keep your noggin warm while wet. I like Stormy Kromer®, although (being from around here) Outdoor Research knows a thing or three about operating in rainy weather.

Also, cotton is less than ideal for socks in cool, wet weather. Classically, wool is best, although nowadays you can get synthetics that function just as well.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Depends on what you're training for. Outside of a couple times to see how it affects you USPSA practice in the freezing rain/snow is really useless.
    Last edited by Peally; 03-13-2018 at 02:59 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I’ve spent quite a bit of time in a doghouse in crap weather.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’ve spent quite a bit of time in a doghouse in crap weather.

p

I think I need to build one of those!

Some of the best self training I've ever done has been in absolute crappy weather conditions. I favor rougher weather because the range I am a member of is chock full of fair weather shooters. The worse the weather, the more likely I will arrive and have the entire range to myself. Almost zero "down" time waiting for others to check targets......almost no "cold" range times. Lots of times I'll show up before daylight to get some low light practice in as well as some flashlight work.

I'll set up steel only on rain soaked days and blaze away. Colder/windy days it's steel and paper.

I can remember one time it was so cold that when I went to leave, the pad lock at the main gate was frozen shut. I had to heat it by slapping both hands to it and even though that was the suck, the transfer of body warmth was enough to get the dials spinning.

At work, our range was open on a 15 degree day and it was just me and the range instructor and he was huddled up in his patrol car with the heat blazing. I was out there, in short sleeves, letting my heart rate get way up and running drills. Again, some of the best self training I ever did and a good analysis of how well my oils and weapons would function in the cold.

Rare is the day when I will go in good or great conditions. I figure on the job, the weather will be sucky in a real situation so I train around that.

Regards.

Site Supporter
    Like anything else, buy quality cry once re critical foul weather gear such as underwear, outwear, shoes and gloves. I have found that your actual shirt and pants can usually be handled by the intersection of quality and value when dealing with the 50-70 Degrees slot.

I have slowly moved away from Goretex toward Neoshell (by Polartec) as it is more durable, more breathable and more softshell in fit, stretch etc.
    Goretex and the like tends to make me sweat such that I am fairly wet anyway. I have also moved away from down as an insulation material toward Primaloft as the latter holds up much better in the wet.
    Cotton anything in 50-70 degree wet weather is a complete non starter

Wearing quick dry stuff top to bottom is the way to go. In that vein, I have found Ex Officio brand boxer briefs to be worth full retail at 25 ish per, though they can be had for less. Supportive, quick drying even in mid Missouri 90/90 summers ( 90degree/90% humidity) makes for no chaffing. My one exception is Kirkland brand wool socks. 70 % merino wool, 4 for under 20 bucks and really warm/comfortable, even when wet.

While I like the top/bottom synthetic offerings of Prana, First Ascent by Eddie Bauer and Kuhl, I suspect similar items by Wrangler (sold at Walmart and Target), Costco and Target (C9 Brand) offer 80+% of the performance at 30% to 50% of the price.

A fleece beanine and buff are always great to have on hand. Finally, if space and weight are not issues, pack extra and change out as needed.

As I tell my boys in Scouts, there is no such thing as bad weather...just bad gear choices. Take care of your gear and your gear will take care of you.

Give us an update.

YMMV greatly.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 03-14-2018 at 03:09 PM.

User Tag List