Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Drinking while carrying: practical realities?

Years ago, I had a true interest in trying every bourbon and whiskey on the top shelf at the ABC store. I found some real nice ones too....some that went wonderful with German or Swiss chocolate.

But since I carry just about everywhere, I only drank when I was at home and just enough to get a good nose and taste for whatever I spent good money on.

I finally realized how much training ammo I could have bought with what I spent on that last bottle and realized I enjoyed the shooting more than the drinking. So I haven't drank in years. I'd rather carry and be clear headed and blow .000 should someone force me to legally defend myself off duty.

Regards.

In Florida, using a firearm OR having it available for immediate use (while intoxicated) was a crime (misdemeanor I believe). Here's the interesting part, though - "available for immediate use" was defined as "loaded and in your hand". So, theoretically, you could be doing the sideways shuffle so long as you never skinned it.

Personally, I just don't drink. I'm sure some of y'all are different but, when I look back over my life, every really bad decision I ever made..... there was alcohol involved. I ain't the brightest bulb to begin with, figure I probably shouldn't dumb myself down any further
    Last edited by JATA; 03-16-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Concealed Carrier Shuts Down Active Shooter at SC Nightclub

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/06/3...lina-nightclub

I'm not a very social person. It isn't very often that I "go out" with other folks. I do however, like to hang out at a local cigar bar. Occasionally I'll have a...A...drink (bourbon, scotch, or rum) while smoking a cigar and reading my book. For the most part, I just drink their coffee, but if I do decide to have a drink while I'm there, I'm not first going to drive back home, disarm, and then head back to the bar. That sorta jacks with the whole "relaxation" aspect of the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by JATA View Post
    when I look back over my life, every really bad decision I ever made..... there was alcohol involved.
    Not really pertinent, but most of my bad decisions have been a result of sleep deprivation. If one were to stretch the shit out of some logic, one could say that, in a round about way, alcohol actually leads me to making better decisions.

Sleep deprivation is a major issue. I have had some scary drives on the road while tired. I'd rather drive with several pints in me than bone-tired. Not that I'm in a hurry to do either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Sleep deprivation is a major issue. I have had some scary drives on the road while tired. I'd rather drive with several pints in me than bone-tired. Not that I'm in a hurry to do either.
    This is pretty much true from my own experience in years past as well.

When I was still working narcotics and got called out in the middle of the night to take charge of a case, I'd end up processing bad guys, dope that had to be logged in at an undercover / secure warehouse, and transportation of said bad guys to the federal detention center or county jail.

By night's end I'd feel delirious while driving home to the point where I felt I was a danger to myself or others. (Thankfully, nothing ever happened.)

Add to that an early court date for initial appearance the following morning and you can understand why I enjoy being retired from that unhealthy treadmill.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

A few years ago I worked on a project looking through the VPC's list of "concealed carry killers." I took two things from my work on the project:
    1) The VPC is staffed either with idiots or liars;
    2) Alcohol and guns DO NOT MIX.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
    A few years ago I worked on a project looking through the VPC's list of "concealed carry killers." I took two things from my work on the project:
    1) The VPC is staffed either with idiots or liars;
    2) Alcohol and guns DO NOT MIX.
    Okay- completely missing context here... VPC is... what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Back when I was young and dumb, I once drove a 1 hour commute, worked a 12 hour day, drove another 1 hour commute, then loaded my car and left on a nonstop drive from Florida to Wisconsin.
    I don't know how I survived driving through Atlanta at 3am, because I would nod off, wake up, avoid some disaster, and nod off again. I finally stopped for coffee, then didn't stop for a nap until I got to Tennessee. Stupid, stupid, stupid!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Okay- completely missing context here... VPC is... what?
    The anti-gun misinformation mill called the Violence Policy Center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List