Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking while carrying: practical realities?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    In Pennsylvania it is legal to drink and still carry. Obviously you dont want to be to the point your judgement is impaired w a firearm but to be honest it has not been the cause of a bunch of dunken gun fights. As much as it may make sense to just not bring it with you in the first place, I also see bars being robbed, night club shootings etc.
    In a similar vein, I suspect you probably see MORE violence at places that serve primarily alcohol.

I'm probably not the most qualified to speak in the issue though. I typically avoid bars, mostly because my idea of fun is a few hours on the range, in the gym, reading, playing an instrument (my dog hates it when I do that) or on the mats.

Actually, one if the most recent murders in my area was a shooting in a Joliet area bar. Bartender got murdered by a drunk patron, so you're not wrong. These things do occur.

But my way of thinking is "As a civilian, why be in a place where violence is more likely if I don't even like being there?"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    In a similar vein, I suspect you probably see MORE violence at places that serve primarily alcohol.

I'm probably not the most qualified to speak in the issue though. I typically avoid bars, mostly because my idea of fun is a few hours on the range, in the gym, reading, playing an instrument (my dog hates it when I do that) or on the mats.

Actually, one if the most recent murders in my area was a shooting in a Joliet area bar. Bartender got murdered by a drunk patron, so you're not wrong. These things do occur.

But my way of thinking is "As a civilian, why be in a place where violence is more likely if I don't even like being there?"
    I dont go out drinking often myself (maybe a couple times per year for an hour or two) and when I do, I keep to myself. I know of a few local incidents within the last year alone that makes me not want to go unarmed. The one, no clue what it was about but some guy stood out alone in the parking lot shooting into the bar. A concealed carry patron winded up returning fire. And where-as I agree; why would anyone put themselves in a situation like that. I also think it can happen anywhere. Should I lock myself in the house and never go out. Shoot you cant even expect to be safe even if we did stay in our homes

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    ...in a licensed establishment.
    39-17-1321. Possession of handgun while under influence -- Penalty.
    (a) Notwithstanding whether a person has a permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351, it is an offense for a person to possess a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance or controlled substance analogue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    And where-as I agree; why would anyone put themselves in a situation like that. I also think it can happen anywhere. Should I lock myself in the house and never go out. Shoot you cant even expect to be safe even if we did stay in our homes
    No offense bro, but that is sort of a non sequitur...

The suggestion of going to a bar unarmed or just not going =\= you should lock yourself in the house and never go anywhere.

But guns and alcohol don't mix.

If not going to a bar means that someone is staying home all the time, I'd strongly suggest a hobby. That isn't healthy

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    No offense bro, but that is sort of a non sequitur...

The suggestion of going to a bar unarmed or just not going =\= you should lock yourself in the house and never go anywhere.

But guns and alcohol don't mix.

If not going to a bar means that someone is staying home all the time, I'd strongly suggest a hobby. That isn't healthy

Again I dont regularly go out drinking but if I do want to stop and have a glass or two of wine Im going too.

I don't drink, and it's proven to be a pretty handy skill I have

Soda turns to piss all the same as a beer.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've had people involved in a shooting who had been drinking. It is not illegal here, nor does it affect the validity of a self defense claim. My state, by statute, eliminates voluntary intoxication as a defense to a crime. There is no exclusion in the use of force laws for someone with intoxicants in their system. So, legally it has no impact. Civil could be different, but that's how it plays out in the criminal side.

You'll still be judged on reasonableness as though you were sober.

Our General Orders recognize you may be off duty, carrying, and consume alcohol. You're prohibited from taking any police action if you've had any alcohol unless your failure to act would result in death or serious bodily injury.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I don't drink in public, or in the presence of strangers, or if I think I might have to drive. I only drink at home, where we have barriers between us and potential threats, and no more than one beer or scotch. Probably don't drink more than 2-3 in a month, if that much. Alcohol isn't a big deal to me; even if I didn't routinely carry, I probably wouldn't drink any more than i do now.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Our policy essentially prohibits having alcohol in your blood if you are carrying off duty.....I'd rather be armed than drunk, so easy choice. And local attitudes here are that as the off-duty cop, you're probably wrong and need to prove otherwise, sober or not....politically, administatively and civilly. Not even remotely worth it. Of course, most of our cops take the view that this means they should never, EVER carry off duty, but being hammered is okee-dokee. Because, you know....Bros and shit.

Site Supporter
    For those who either choose to drink while carrying or to leave the gun home when they intend to drink: Why not simply make the choice not to consume alcohol?

Is drinking glorified yeast excrement really that important to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List