Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking while carrying: practical realities?

In Orygun it is legal to go into a bar, carrying on your permit, and have a drink.
    In Washington it is illegal to set foot in a bar while carrying, but you can have a drink with dinner in the restaurant.
    Both states use the same BAC as driving to determine when you should stop.
    Neither state has a noticeable problem with permitted carriers getting 3 sheets to the wind.

Me, I can't remember the last time I was in a bar in a state where I had a permit to carry.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

If you're carrying a gun you don't drink. There's really no middle ground. One drink will impair you if even in the slightest degree. Even if you're dumb enough to think you're man enough to handle it, the last thing you need is to explain the presence of alcohol in your system during a post shooting investigation. That will NOT be in your favor.

Take a drink or pack heat, don't do both.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If you're carrying a gun you don't drink. There's really no middle ground. One drink will impair you if even in the slightest degree. Even if you're dumb enough to think you're man enough to handle it, the last thing you need is to explain the presence of alcohol in your system during a post shooting investigation. That will NOT be in your favor.

Take a drink or pack heat, don't do both.
    This, for exactly the reasons explained above. If you need to make a split second decision to pull the trigger, you want as many factors in your favor as possible when you try to establish the reasonableness of your decision.

I do not consume alcohol while carrying a gun. For me, it is easy. I have never enjoyed drinking glorified yeast excrement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I'm B.

Remember the three S's. If there is alcohol involved, then there are stupid people there doing stupid things.

Don't do it. Nothing good can come from employing deadly force with even a hint of alcohol on your breath or in your system.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

In MN, the law says you can legally drink while carrying, but the allowable BAC while carrying is *half* of what it is to drive, which makes it .04%. I can't tell when I'm at .039% vs .041%, so I avoid alcohol while carrying. Regardless of whether I think a beer or two with dinner would present a real world problem, it'd be too easy to get it wrong and end up in a legally actionable position. It's just easier to follow the same rules for myself that others in this thread have already put forth: If I'm carrying, I don't drink, and if I'm planning on drinking, I don't carry.

Quote Originally Posted by chances R View Post
    In TN it is illegal to have even a sip of alcohol and carry a handgun...
    ...in a licensed establishment.

Is there any legal precedent on this?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I think age has little to do with this. I'm 26. It has more to do with your lifestyle.

Last time I had a drink in a bar I was maybe 20, there because of an obligation, didn't want to be there, had 1 beer and left. I simply don't go to bars. Probably because I've been in a long term relationship since I was 18, but more likely because I just don't care for them.

I drink strictly beer, and most of the time not more than 3. I really tie one on maybe once a year. I drink pretty close to every other day, and on the rare event I go out to eat I will occasionally have a beer with my Applebee's 2 for $20. But most of the time if I want to relax with a beer, it's at my house sitting at my patio table. Or, at my parent's house helping my Dad with whatever the home improvement project of the week is.

So what does that mean for me carrying? It means I'm not in stupid places, not with stupid people, and not doing stupid things. It also means everyone I'm drinking with knows if I am armed or not because they are people I trust. If I make the choice to have more than 2, holster and all can come off and be stored somewhere safe (if I'm carrying). Plenty of folks will say only "Never, ever, for any reason what if something happened and you needed to shoot someone!" and they are definitely allowed to have that opinion. Every time I get behind the wheel of a car I'm making life and death choices too. I don't let having a beer with dinner stop me from driving, and if I have had 3 and no time has passed, or on an empty stomach, or I just feel like I'm otherwise not good yet I pass the keys to my wife or hangout for some time until I can drive. It's called being responsible, and it applies to drinking while armed much in the way that it applies to drinking while needing to drive home. You may want to draw your own lines for yourself on when each is appropriate. Either way check your state (and local) laws.

As far as would I go to the bar, with friends who intend to drink, while carrying, and have a beer? For me that is a hard no. I don't like bars, people with the intention to go drinking usually get foolish soon, and do things they wouldn't otherwise. Stupid places, stupid people, stupid things. Why put myself in a higher risk area to start with? With something more likely to happen, no matter how it shakes out you're wrong. Even when you're right. So for me that answer is a no. But you would have to make the choice yourself.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 03-12-2018 at 08:10 AM.

In Pennsylvania it is legal to drink and still carry. Obviously you dont want to be to the point your judgement is impaired w a firearm but to be honest it has not been the cause of a bunch of dunken gun fights. As much as it may make sense to just not bring it with you in the first place, I also see bars being robbed, night club shootings etc.

User Tag List