Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking while carrying: practical realities?

Drinking while carrying: practical realities?

I carry everyday, everywhere I legally can. The only time I don't carry is when I know I'll have a drink at a bar or restaurant. That's usually every weekend-- I'm in my twenties after all. Of course, the one time I'll need a gun is when I won't have one, and that's about fifty nights a year.

I'm curious about how this community addresses the issue. Do most of you a) not carry while "out", b) have a teetotaling social life, c) purposely avoid social activities so you can always be armed, or d) have two beers and carry on?

I teeter between options a and c.

To be clear, I'm approaching this from the perspective of responsible drinking where it's legal to carry in a bar/restaurant that serves alcohol. And by responsible, I mean 1-3 beers and an appetizer. It's a tricky question. If not outright illegal, it could still easily open a legal can of worms in a self-defense scenario. I don't see an issue from a practical point-of-view, however. If you're okay to drive, why not carry?

In TN it is illegal to have even a sip of alcohol and carry a handgun. Doing so can cause you to lose your permit for 3 years. There is no BAC.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by chances R View Post
    In TN it is illegal to have even a sip of alcohol and carry a handgun. Doing so can cause you to lose your permit for 3 years. There is no BAC.
    Same in Ohio. Except in Ohio, if you're in someplace with a liquor permit, it's a F-5, or F-3 if it's carried concealed. Source

Outside of a permitted location, it's a M-1.Source
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

I would hazard to say most states are similar to TN. Arizona law states that it's unlawful "For any person in possession of a firearm while on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer to consume spirituous liquor. This paragraph does not prohibit the consumption of small amounts of spirituous liquor by an undercover peace officer on assignment to investigate the licensed establishment."

Beer is not a spirituous liquor. Still, these days, if it feels illegal it probably is.

Generally, I limit my consumption of beer or other drinks to those locations and times when I am legally prohibited from carrying, or when I'm at home. With two small kids, I don't have much of a social life these days!

Philosophically, I'm not opposed to responsible drinking while carrying, although that often does not square with the law. As with many things, reality and being responsible often dictates hard choices.

Site Supporter
    If you gotta ask, I suspect you know the answer

As a fellow 20 something, I don't drink while armed. I keep other, nonlethal implements near to hand, but no guns or knives. Alcohol impairs your judgement and reduces inhibitions. That is not theory...that is known by a body of current and scientific knowledge. That is why bar fights are more common than coffee shop fights.

Guns and alcohol do not mix well together.

I do go drinking with friends. I carry all the time I'm not drinking or at work I've grown out of the whole monkey dance routine though...
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 03-11-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Don’t do it. A and C will serve you well when it comes to the legalities of alcohol and arming oneself*. For me, it’s as easy as no booze = CCW, booze = no CCW. If you draw that line for yourself, it makes things much easier. Keep a folder and flashlight on you when “unarmed” and you’ll cover a few more defensive bases while staying legal depending on your jurisdiction*.

*not a lawyer, shh 🤫
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

If I'm armed I don't drink, its pretty simple for me. But then again I can easily go out and hang with friends and not drink alcohol. I understand it might not be that easy for some people.

It is pretty simple, if you want an alcoholic beverage do it at home; if you want to drink in public, don't CCW...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    For now, TX defines "intoxicated" for CC same as for driving.

I'm not advocating for or against.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List