Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Sights vs Bead vs ??? for HD Shotgun

My favorite set up. Low profile, sturdy and effective for flying things, running things, big things and small things.
    Buck, Slug or Bird fodder.

Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Disclaimer: this is not intended to be a discussion of skill level as clearly my reload skills are lacking, and frankly I’m a little embarrassed to be posting this right below a world shotgun champ.

The video below involves a number of different targets including paper at up to 35yds (slug) and steel targets a various distances and sizes ranging from 6” up to poppers and a large spinner. (Bird) The point is that with a rib and bead sight combo, one can be very accurate (I’ve made 100yd slug hits) with slugs and also fast on small and moving targets with shot loads.

I’m inclined to make this point because some here are suggesting it is impossible to hit anything with a bead sight. For sure you need to confirm zero/pattern with your gun and your ammo, but it’s not as difficult as some are making it out to be. Conversely, I’ve found flying/moving targets significantly more difficult to hit with GR sights. I do like the concept of express style sights, but found them waaaaay too tall on the 870 I had, such that I couldn’t mount the gun properly.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    How does that happen? At what distance were they shooting?

Chris
    I wondered about this as well.

I've been shooting shotguns since I was maybe 10 or 11. Maybe it's harder for someone who has never used snowman sights, or a gold bead only on a bolt action 12. But I still have trouble seeing how they would hit a ceiling because of misaligned sights unless we are talking about shooting a little further out.

-Cory

Chris
    Usually, indoor ranges by me allow shotguns to only shoot at 25 yards (range maximum). If shorter, it might put the shot high on the target (eventually will hit the ceiling, further downrange). But if your range has overhead target tracks, look at the metal shielding where the arm meets the track... sometimes you see marks from those shots.

As for how does it happen... new shooter that thinks a shotgun is easy to shoot. With a bead sight, you don’t want to see barrel when sighting. You lose the bead behind the receiver aiming low, so for those that just put the bead on the target (with the barrel in sight picture), the barrel is aiming high.

Only way I could liken it is if you were aiming your pistol with the front sight noticeably higher than the rear. Looking along the top of the slide, with the sight dots making an isosceles triangle.

Chris
    Shooting the ceiling - with anything - has nuttin' to do with the sights.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    My favorite set up. Low profile, sturdy and effective for flying things, running things, big things and small things.
    Buck, Slug or Bird fodder.

I like that setup. I believe Fisher uses handgun sights set into the rib on the shotgun on his guns and has had good results with that, too.

Vang Comp recently created a custom made sight that's a combination of express style sights and buckhorn sights that looks interesting as well.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 03-12-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Disclaimer: this is not intended to be a discussion of skill level as clearly my reload skills are lacking, and frankly I’m a little embarrassed to be posting this right below a world shotgun champ.

The video below involves a number of different targets including paper at up to 35yds (slug) and steel targets a various distances and sizes ranging from 6” up to poppers and a large spinner. (Bird) The point is that with a rib and bead sight combo, one can be very accurate (I’ve made 100yd slug hits) with slugs and also fast on small and moving targets with shot loads.
    The video also involves ideal shooting conditions...which we are not always afforded in defensive use of the shotgun.

You can absolutely use a bead sight successfully on a shotgun.

To do so requires more time on the gun. That's not a problem for someone who actually goes out and competes or trains with the shotgun regularly...most people using one for serious social purposes are not getting anywhere near the reps they need for that. In that one match stage you fired more shots through a shotgun than the last correctional officer I trained will in 5 years of qualifications.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Scalarworks handles that for the Benelli, and Aridus handles that for the 870 and 1301 and soon 590?
    Scalarworks makes one for the Mossberg as well

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post

I’m inclined to make this point because some here are suggesting it is impossible to hit anything with a bead sight. For sure you need to confirm zero/pattern with your gun and your ammo, but it’s not as difficult as some are making it out to be. Conversely, I’ve found flying/moving targets significantly more difficult to hit with GR sights. I do like the concept of express style sights, but found them waaaaay too tall on the 870 I had, such that I couldn’t mount the gun properly.

Beads can be used effectively, no doubt. Using 18" defensive shotguns in uncomfortable shooting positions would be much more difficult.

How long is that barrel?

I agree that GRS are not ideal for flying things but that doesn't mean it's impossible.
    Attachment 24397

Adjustable rmr on sale for $325 at Cabela's. 10% back through active junky.

User Tag List