Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 14” Pump Firearm - Brace or keep Raptor Grip?

14” Pump Firearm - Brace or keep Raptor Grip?

The pure range toy cool finally got to me (along with a great Brownells deal) and I ordered a Tac 14. While waiting for it to arrive I handled a braced version at the LGS.

I’m not convinced how you are supposed to get the SB brace over your forearm to use it as such, but it would work as a stock in the event it got pushed against your torso incidentally.

I got my Raptor gripped version yesterday and put about 50 rounds through it. Aside from remembering how much I dislike plain barrels with beads, I had a ball. It shot well for what it is, and with practice it may be viable for something other than range blasting, maybe grouse. Adding the brace would increase utility and size, and I already have several shotguns, although none as small as this would be.

I know there are a few here using one of these in the original configuration, and there are several who say there the dumbest idea since pet rocks so I’m looking for opinions- spend the money on a brace and have a more effective shooter, or keep the PG and enjoy it. Either way I’m going to improve the sights, probably a DEA sighted barrel in order to double my investment in this thing.

First, I think that there is ZERO wrong with having a gun for pure fun. I don’t have many, aside from revolvers, but I have no beef with it.

Second, I have the 870 Tac-14, and I’m going to stamp it and put a stock on it. I like small shotguns/carbines for vehicular work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    First, I think that there is ZERO wrong with having a gun for pure fun. I don’t have many, aside from revolvers, but I have no beef with it.

Second, I have the 870 Tac-14, and I’m going to stamp it and put a stock on it. I like small shotguns/carbines for vehicular work.

Personally, I don’t think either is a bad choice. Practicality, I see the brace being more useful unless space is limited.

I have a stippled grip for my TAC-14, as well as the Suarez folding brace. With the brace folded, it is legally under the 26” OAL, as ATF measures with the brace extended (Black Aces DT, for example; my TAC-14 comes out to 24” folded, if I remember correctly).

One thing with the brace... if you shoulder it, make sure you got it tight. Leaving play will give you a swollen cheek. But shy of that, it is a good platform. NJ, I cannot SBS it... as a shotgun with a stock is illegal via state law. NJSP and AG both define this, the Shockwave, and the Black Aces DT as firearms... and not shotguns (also say NFA rules apply, as do similar firearms). When I move to ME, will I SBS it? Probably... but would need to find a stock setup that I like.

I am debating the TAC-13, and might swap over the brace if it works out on that.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    You are the Shockwave SME.

Great shotgun technique, but your drive-by technique is pretty bad. Just ride the brake a little bit or let the car roll at idle.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post

I'm looking to do the same. Honestly might get two, one to keep as is, one to Form 1 and (possibly) send to Vang.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Consider yourself invited to my zombie apocalypse crew.

I started out with a homemade 500 shockwave for woods use.Name:  1495290967857137707232-212402.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  39.5 KB
    Name:  KIMG0343.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  104.6 KB
    Figured I could get good enough for emergencies but found I was able to get hits surprisingly well on squirrels rabbits and grouse. It shot high but I figured that was due to my lug I used to attach the barrel to the mag tube.

My factory shockwave shot really high as well so I put a RMR on it and was really impressed with how much easier it was to get hits. Yeah it's still slower and less accurate than a stocked shotgun but it's getting closer and it's a nice tidy package to tote around. Either in a SAW barrel bag or the side of a ruck which would not be possible with a braced gun. Even the folders. They add to much width imo.

You're pretty hot shit with that gun dude!

User Tag List