Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate duty pistols?

I don’t have a spare. But that is going to change here in the next month or so. With my recent foray into competition shooting (which I love) I’ve decided that a very close duplicate is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    If I had to purchase my own duty pistol, I would have an identical twin that was vetted and set aside. I chose to carry a personally owned, departmentally approved Patrol Rifle. I have a spare set aside, that is tested and vetted. I've seen weapons involved in an OIS incident released within 4-6 weeks, but in my city, the average time is closer to around 4-6 months. I've seen it take as much as a year before the prosecutor's office released the gun.
    I guess that's about the only good thing about our OIS SOP...we don't get to come back to work until the Prosecutor has denied murder charges against the officer. So once the criminal case is over we can get our gun(s) back and go back to work. The time frame has ranged from 3 months to a little over a year.

I remember as a kid reading a Guns and Ammo story about Armand Swenson. He highly recommended to have two identical pistols. One to carry and one to shoot with. Always stuck with me.

My duty gun is a personal G-17 gen 3 with Trijicon HD sights. Also qualified as a backup/off duty with my G-19 gen 3 Trijicon HD sights. Off duty I carry the 17 99% of the time and keep the 19 empty for dry fire practice so that I don't chamber rounds over and over.

Have two similar AR's set up for patrol in case primary were to go down or seized for evidence.
    Last edited by sierra 223; 03-12-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Yes, a pair-and-a-spare is nice to have. Generally, a pair was the minimum. I owned* my duty pistols, and changed sysems several times over 34 years. If one of them had reliability problems, it would be the designated training pistol. (I became very good at clearing 1911 malfunctions.) In some cases, one had a better exterior finish for rough duty, so would be the usual street gun. Otherwise, each pistol filled any role.

*Recently retired, so, past tense.

I carried a POW, for years. Rather than have a duty/duplicate, I just opted for a g23 so it would be (almost) a full size carry gun AND small enough to carry (concealed) off duty.

All of my duty guns have been issued. I always had a personally owned copy that I carried off duty and trained with (off duty). Recently I'm more inclined to have platform commonality with my issued gun than a specific number of guns.

Site Supporter
    My duty handgun has been either an issued 9mm or .40 Glock since '89. It is currently the G4 G23. I currently own no other Gen 4 Glock for practice since I currently own five G2/G2.5/G3 Glocks. Am tempted to pick up a G4 G22 for a .40 practice gun set up the same way as the issued piece as far as trigger (dot connector and standard trigger spring) and no back strap. I realize that the G22 would not be an exact copy but I am seriously considering retiring 1 December and don't feel the need to have two identical .40 Glocks since I will get to buy my current issued one for $1 when I pull the pin.

I am issued a VP9. I wanted a spare VP9, but I found a P30 for less than a VP9 thanks to a very generous friend.
    My rationale is that I want a identical spare in case something happens to my issued gat. As it stands now the only similarity is compatible magazines! I may trade it for a VP9 and I really should, but that P30 is nice!
    Anyway, I encourage everyone to have an identical spare for lots of reasons. The first and most important reason is that you most likely have the most trigger and training time with whatever you are issued. Having the same as your issued gun gives you something you already know very well

I carry my own pistol (G17 Gen 4) and I have 3 G19’s as backups to that gun (Gen 4, 5,and a 19X). We issue the G22/23 but after 26+ years and getting older I like the 9mm better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List