Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate duty pistols?

I have a duplicate of my duty gun. Matter of fact, all my glocks are setup the same including my 17R.

JR1572

No. Sidearms are issued to us, and currently as a pair of G19 and G26, so there's significant commonality between the issued pair as is. If I need a replacement, I get one from work.

If we provided our own weapons, I'd have a duplicate.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I have a 26, but I am thinking selling/trading it for a 17. I had rather have two identical guns at this point.

Site Supporter
    I carried a SIG 226 for most of my career. My off duty pistols were the 228 9mm and later the .40 229. (That said, I usually carried the duty pistol off duty.) The pistols were close enough in size and operation that I felt practice with one sufficed for practice wit the other. As confessed here, I feel uncomfortable carrying a fired weapon on duty. I realize that's OCD, but a lot of you feel likewise. I don't think everyone needs an exact duplicate of their primary pistol, but a smaller version may serve the same purpose.

Site Supporter
    I like a clean duty weapon. Yet, after cleaning my duty gun I like to shoot 1-3 magazines through it to confirms function. Maybe this is OCD too.

When I carried a 1911, I always had a near identical spare (it was also a traininggun). Carrying a personally owned 9mm M&P or an issued G17, no. If something happens to either a replacement will be fairly easy to acquire & make into a duplicate.

Duty gun is issued, so will be replaced by the agency if needed. For Off duty/POWs I go by the rule of three: one for carry, one for training and a spare.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I have a spare of my duty pistol and rifle. And they stay in the safe at home unless training with them. Depending on each agency’s rules for evidence collection your guns could be taken for processing even if you don’t shoot but are at a shooting scene. Also I know LEO’s who have had every firearm in their vehicle seized as evidence after a shooting. And they were near, not in their vehicle.

On duty gun is POW, but I have pairs of my pistol and carbine. 870 is issued with the car.

civiliandefender.com

Duty pistol is issued. My agency keeps loaner spares at Homicide. If involved in an OIS incident and you do not leave in handcuff's, you're issued a loaner gun before you leave the building.

If I had to purchase my own duty pistol, I would have an identical twin that was vetted and set aside. I chose to carry a personally owned, departmentally approved Patrol Rifle. I have a spare set aside, that is tested and vetted. I've seen weapons involved in an OIS incident released within 4-6 weeks, but in my city, the average time is closer to around 4-6 months. I've seen it take as much as a year before the prosecutor's office released the gun.

User Tag List