Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Netflix Police Documentary: "Flint Town"

Just finished. Powerful stuff. And man, those guys can sing!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Watching it now. It's ok (yes I can be a contrarian lol) but more than anything it is yet another example of how broken and screwed up our society is/is becoming. What I like about these things is it lets me know how people from different areas think.

Site Supporter
    Finished it. It is disturbing how much how some of the officers blamed racism as the reason for voting for Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Finished it. It is disturbing how much how some of the officers blamed racism as the reason for voting for Trump.
    I can't disagree. The decision was far more complex than just black and white...on a variety of levels.

Equally disturbing was a heated argument I got into with my partner (a DEA agent) and another agent in the parking lot outside the task force after the (despicable) Rodney King beat down. They justified pulling Reginald Denny from his truck and beating him within an inch of his life by simply saying that "black folks weren't going to take it anymore". My rejoinder was that if we were working in L.A. and they were carrying a badge and didn't feel it was their duty to be colorblind and attempt to rescue the man, I'd be just as inclined to shoot them as the rioters. (I was overstating my case, clearly, to make a point...but I was angry.)

I understand the distrust and even hatred of Trump. But that doesn't mean that the reason why individuals voted for him was along racial lines. It's unfortunate that this divide exists when the only color that matters on the job should be blue. (I'd like to say that race should never enter the equation in any arena but that would be my idealism speaking rather than speaking from experience.)
    Last edited by blues; 03-17-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I can't disagree. The decision was far more complex than just black and white...on a variety of levels.

Equally disturbing was a heated argument I got into with my partner (a DEA agent) and another agent in the parking lot outside the task force after the (despicable) Rodney King beat down. They justified pulling Reginald Denny from his truck and beating him within an inch of his life by simply saying that "black folks weren't going to take it anymore". My rejoinder was that if we were working in L.A. and they were carrying a badge and didn't feel it was their duty to be colorblind and attempt to rescue the man, I'd be just as inclined to shoot them as the rioters. (I was overstating my case, clearly, to make a point...but I was angry.)

I understand the distrust and even hatred of Trump. But that doesn't mean that the reason why individuals voted for him was along racial lines. It's unfortunate that this divide exists when the only color that matters on the job should be blue. (I'd like to say that race should never enter the equation in any arena but that would be my idealism speaking rather than speaking from experience.)
    I guess what bothers me is the disconnect between those officers and reality. After what they see they still can't connect the dots.

Like you I believe that race is nothing more than a physical descriptor. Sadly there is too much profit, power, and victim hood to be had, so people put meaning in race.

Just watched the first two episodes. I never seen a group of LEOs with a more tired behind the eyes look, yet they're still putting themselves out there. Spartans, every one.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Really grateful that you all made me aware of this documentary. It was incredibly powerful and beautifully shot. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Incredible respect for these officers working under ridiculously difficult conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    ...pay really close attention to the younger female officer, Bridgette, when she makes a solo stop and talk with a potential suspect on foot. ...The body language, the way she frisks the guy without being overt or hostile towards him; it's really impressive.
    So funny, I had the totally opposite reaction to this. Unless she knew the guy (which there was no indication she did), it seemed like seriously lacking MUCing. The fact that she was so close to him, flat footed, no fence, etc., struck me as really dangerous/rookie stuff. She seemed totally vulnerable to any attack he might mount, and she would have been WAY behind the curve.

Contrast that with how Bernritter (whom I would pretty much support for President) managed the mentally ill man while waiting for EMS, which I think was masterful. Distance, tone of voice, calm control, empathy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Just finished. Powerful stuff. And man, those guys can sing!
    Even though The Impressions weren't a Motown act, the "It's Alright" quartet was a great way to wrap it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Spartans, every one.
    A-freakin'-men.

^^^I had concerns that she was too close and vulnerable when I watched that scene as well.

There were several other instances where I got a bit anxious that they put themselves unnecessarily in harm's way...the reserve officers among them. Scary.

The fascination wore off @episode 5. Doubt I watch any more of it. I'll be honest, the CATT squad got on my nerves.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    The fascination wore off @episode 5. Doubt I watch any more of it. I'll be honest, the CATT squad got on my nerves.
    I had some thoughts, but I didn't really feel qualified to share them.

What were you thinking? Please share.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List