Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firearms Trainers Association

Nothing more than a revenue stream for those involved. IMO, Rangemaster certification is the current Gold Standard.

I’m not clear, are they charging students or instructors $400/yr to be members?
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    That article says an "associate membership" is $100/year, for non-trainers. (No insurance, access to content.)

BTW, they've replaced the Lorum Ipsum with English. I expect someone got a beat down over that. However, the About Us is still the only page with content, so maybe not.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    The way I understand it, all levels except the 'associate' are $400. Going to have to have a lot of benefits for that amount IMO. I agree that RangeMaster is a current gold standard as well as certain levels of NRA. At this time it just appears to be a 'branding' for the some of the names in training. The reality is that the general public simply does not train; and if they do it is certainly not feasible of desired to do so to a 'tactical' but a 'practical' level.

I expect instructors would get a certain street cred for their participation. I'm curious what the student gets for his dues.

One of the challenges that I face with my site is going to be monetization, the lack of which keeps me from updating and building it the way I should. (Not whining, I swear.)

Either way, I think the industry could use dozens of associations (PDN, Rangemaster, etc) and promotion sites (like mine) to make it easier for instructors and students to find each other.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Having been involved in professional accreditation, I would ask:

1. What are their site visit plans and how often? Will the members be tested and how often? Will the members be charged for a visit about the membership fee.
    2. What is their liability when one of their members goes awry? I'd also take a long hard luck at their insurance providers. Claims they are best, well ...
    3. What are the standards for removal from the approved list?
    4. There really isn't a set of accepted training standards in the business while such might exist for other professions. There are accredited law enforcement and fire training programs. Will they devise one course or set of courses that pass their standards? Many instructors only get one time intro visitors.

Some training outfits have quite a few instructors and adjuncts. That's a lot of money to fork over.

Just questions - not in the business but having been in accreditation scenarios and having to write lengthy reports - it ain't that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    4. There really isn't a set of accepted training standards in the business while such might exist for other professions. There are accredited law enforcement and fire training programs. Will they devise one course or set of courses that pass their standards? Many instructors only get one time intro visitors.

Some training outfits have quite a few instructors and adjuncts. That's a lot of money to fork over.

Just questions - not in the business but having been in accreditation scenarios and having to write lengthy reports - it ain't that simple.
    This is a very cogent observation.

I have a fairly lengthy background in Instructional System Design. One of the concepts frequently applied in ISD is the ADDIE model.

Without going into too much detail, the “A” stands for Analysis:

“In the analysis phase, instructional problem is clarified, the instructional goals and objectives are established and the learning environment and learner's existing knowledge and skills are identified. Below are some of the questions that are addressed during the analysis phase:

* Who is the audience and their characteristics?
    * Identify the new behavioral outcome?
    * What types of learning constraints exist?
    * What are the delivery options?
    * What are the online pedagogical considerations?
    * What is the timeline for project completion?”

So here is the key point: unless you can determine the new behavior outcome, it is impossible to converge on a training curriculum. Your instructional media will devolve into addressing ‘your’ particular SMEs worldview on what they see needing solved.

That’s kinda what I see happening here. No question these instructors are top guys, but you are going to get what they consider ‘their’ program, like it or not. That may or may not be worth $400.

More here, in case of interest:

www.instructionaldesign.org
    Last edited by RJ; 03-14-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Site Supporter
    God save us from having to write assessment plans, implement and then write them up! Glad I'm retired as my old job is tooling up for an accreditation review and site visits. Nothing like sitting there and having some pompous old toot grill you.

If you are one of the folks interviewed and critique your organization - well, that's fun and games for a bit!

Instructor X - you have said that the Gluger 27 is not a good carry gun. You mean my special version of the Gluger (http://mylimitededitonspecialgluger.futz) cannot be shot well because of the grip angle and you don't recommend a gun without a manual safety. Care to explain?

I have sat in classes where the instructor denounced the Gluger as ineffective as compared to the 1913. Later that instructor switch to the Gluber.

Just saying.

...and some organizations become more exclusive rather inclusive. I got mine let’s make it a little harder for you to get yours.

I think Tom Givens’, “Rangemaster Certified Instructor,” programs for pistol and shotgun are the current, most relevant instructor benchmarks for civilian instructors.

(And I don’t just offer that because I am one.)

Here in TN, Tom’s program is the ONLY educational program aside from the NRA courses, that allow an applicant to be recognized by the State of TN to be permitted to teach permit classes. Yes, we all know most state permit classes suck, but it’s nice to know that if the instructor came up on Rangemaster’s path, that they have a wide knowledge base relative to the topic AND have demonstrated their skills on a challenging course of fire.

civiliandefender.com

User Tag List