Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Ruger done a 3” SP-101 with dovetailed front and rear?

Ok, I just looked at the K6S 3” on the Kimber website, my initial impression is that it’s exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll try to track one down to check out. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ll check out the Kimbers, I never thought of them. And no chance that I’ll be selling off that 64!
    Can’t blame me for asking!

And...

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...inch-revolver/

Site Supporter
    So is there a mag cap being proposed?

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Yes, here in IL. Plus, it’s as good of a reason as any to buy a new gun.

Site Supporter
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...57mag38sp_+p_3
    Not a ruger but looks pretty good.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Yeah, but they're waiting until mid term elections are over so they can override in the unlikely event that our formerly Republican governor puts up a fight.

The Kimber is a nice revolver, but I'd probably consider a 3" LCR. The Kimber is still fairly new and I don't trust them much.

I've got 1911s I can fall back upon if I need while reevaluating my carry situation, but given the issues Glock has with limited cap mags I'll probably just say "fuck it" and go to a Glock 30S, or get a lot of 10 round Beretta mags.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 03-11-2018 at 09:50 PM.

I do not recall a factory offering of a 3” SP101 with a dovetailed rear, but I recall posts telling of problems with factory-installed Novak rear sight dovetails on the larger GP100 revolvers.

The rear notch of fixed-rear-sight SP101 revolvers is nicely wide, allowing a really good view of the front sight. I feel no need to add-on a different rear sight. To be more specific, I really do like the fixed rear notch of the SP101, and would probably rather not have an add-on Novak-ish rear sight, if it were offered for free. This is partly because I want a small revolver to be as slick as possible, and partly because I wonder about the long-term wisdom of removing so much metal from the frame, but mostly because the old-school notch is quite good, even as my eyes age, and all sights are harder to see.

A Trijicon front is nice; two of mine have them. My 3” SP101 has the OEM front, and notch rear, the only change being an OEM spur-less hammer I installed.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-12-2018 at 09:01 PM.

I had a chance to fondle a 2” Kimber tonight, I definitely want to shoot one and check out a 3”er.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    I believe D&L Sports (gunsmiths) do a after market front and rear sight on an SP 101. I have a 3" SP 357 and it is a great carry gun IWB. It has a Trijicon night sight, which is the front sight. An extra 3/4 of an inch of barrel makes a lot of difference. If you have a rental range near see if they have a 3 inch SP to run some rounds through, you might like it!

First, great looking firearm - thanks for the picture. Bit of a drift here - what is your EDC ammo?

Hornady Critical Defense 140 FTX 357. POA/POI is the same with this load and the round is controllable for good follow up shots.

User Tag List