Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade offs between sights and trigger

Some of us old guys, all we have left is trigger control.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Some of us old guys, all we have left is trigger control.
    Exactly! Sucks...but is what it is.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....paradigm-shift

Site Supporter
    I was always surprised by how good my hits were with imperfect sight picture or sight alignment and perfect trigger press. I would illustrate this to new hires by firing a target with gross sight alignment errors and good trigger control at 7 or ten yards. Four rounds with the front sight on the left side of the rear notch, 4 on the right side, 4 high, 4 low would give a target with four clusters on the torso. It’s like my favorite pat Rogers tee shirt, see the motherfucker, shoot the motherfucker, stop thinking about it. Plus in the last few years I can’t see the front sight as good anymore so it’s all in the finger
    Last edited by Poconnor; 03-11-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Curious - during these sessions, were you flipping-and-pressing the trigger or have you continued on with the method of slacking out the trigger and then breaking the shot? My limited handling of the Gen5 leads me to believe it would favor the first method.

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    Curious - during these sessions, were you flipping-and-pressing the trigger or have you continued on with the method of slacking out the trigger and then breaking the shot? My limited handling of the Gen5 leads me to believe it would favor the first method.
    Interested in this answer.

I spent a majority of time yesterday taking the slack out of my 19.5 and pressing carefully. Made some good progress; 10/10 on FYL at 5 yards, 92-2X on The Test. Good for me.

At the end I was messing around with how to prep for Gabe White Standards, and I shot a bunch of controlled pairs into a 3x5 at 7 yards. I put 18/20 inside the box, basically shot them all into one ragged hole. I was shooting pretty quickly. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    Yes.

I flip and press back to the initial wall, plus some. Then roll through the rest.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I was shooting yesterday at 25, 50 and 100 yards with HK P30 V1 LEM 9mm and HK USPT45 cocked and locked. 25 yards was 6"x6" head plates of MGM BCC steel, 50 yards was MGM BCC body, 100yards was IDPA size steel.

All of my bad shots were either bad trigger presses or inconsistent grip tension, mainly bad trigger presses. This was true with both pistols. I flip and press.
    Last edited by 1slow; 03-11-2018 at 02:07 PM.

Did a bit of shooting at 125 yds today with the USP9c-SD. Finishing flat becomes very important out there.
    Taking a break from social media.

@GJM, thanks for starting this thread. Coincidentally, I've been exploring the variables required for making tough shots as well: 1) sights, 2) trigger, and 3) grip. I have found that if fatigue occurs, my accuracy declines. And if my trigger press is good, I do not need a full-power crush grip--especially with a heavy Shadow2 where free(er) recoil does not affect POI.

Today, I did not find that focusing on trigger more and sights less made for better groups at 25 yds. My groups were similar (5"), but the "less sights" group ended up shifted 3" right due (I think) to lighting conditions and less focus on rear alignment.

When I moved back to 55yds on a 10" plate, I started to see what you're describing, but the sight picture was very unambiguous--plate against dark soil with good lighting. So, no unicorns farting rainbows for me yet... but I'll keep playing with this.

One more thought: there are actually two sight variables: alignment and wobble. I think you're saying that trying to eliminate wobble isn't needed, and my conclusion is that alignment on small/distant targets cannot be taken for granted.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-11-2018 at 05:21 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

What I think I am saying is that it is easier to manage one variable than two, and so far I like the trade off of less sights, allowing for a less interrupted trigger press.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List