Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 124 or 147gr SD: which and why?

I like Federal HST 147 in my Glock 26.

Primary reason is that I can shoot it well out of the 26.

It also has a good reputation for performance, can be found at a reasonable price for the quality, and the 147 seems to lose fewer FPS than 124 out of the shorter barrel.

I use HST 147 gr standard pressure in all my 9mm carry/HD guns( G17, G19, Walther PPS, and Kahr PM9, formerly G34 also). I settled on it close to a decade ago and have had no reason to reconsider. The criteria that drove my decision: what was on Doc's list, what load(s) have a couple of decent quality training loads at same weight and similar velocity that shoot to approx same point of impact, cost, availability, sufficient accuracy, and excellent reliability. I found HST was then consistently less expensive than Gold Dots, and that Lawman 147 (53620) and American Eagle 147 shot to about the same POI as HST 147. I considered GD 124+P but when I made my choice , its price was higher than HST, and there were fewer 124 gr training loads at similar velocity.
    Last edited by oldtexan; 03-10-2018 at 02:03 PM.

I just discovered a 10 year old G17 mag full of Ranger T 127+P+. Gotta love off-the-shelf ammo that makes Major power factor!
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    I use 147gr HST for carry and American Eagle 147gr flat point ammo for practice/training. My guns run well with 147gr ammo and I like the way it shoots. Plus I prefer shooting subsonic rounds at the range (a little easier on the ears).
    Last edited by Robinson; 03-10-2018 at 03:30 PM.

FYI, Win 127 +P+ never worked as well as 147 gr Ranger Talon, 147 gr Ranger Bonded, 147 gr HST, etc...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 03-10-2018 at 04:19 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I use 147gr HST for carry and American Eagle 147gr flat point ammo for practice/training. My guns run well with 147gr ammo and I like the way it shoots. Plus I prefer shooting subsonic rounds at the range (a little easier on the ears).
    +1

147 grain Federal HST checks all of the needed boxes; great terminal performance, excellent training alternative in the 147 AE, subsonic for suppressed shooting, and available. I shoot them in everything ranging from a Glock 43 to a MP5.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    All things being equal (they're on Doc's list and shoot POA), I pick heavier bullets. Intellectually I know it doesn't make a difference, but the caveman part of my brain likes a bigger hammer.
    I’m with Hambo. When there’s a choice, I like the bigger hammer.

With my P30L, I was getting a 1204 fps average with Speer Gold Dot 124 +P. I thought that was pretty impressive for non boutique ammo. For my Glock 43, I use subsonic 147 standard pressure since that's as much recoil I feel comfortable with such a small grip.

I typically use 124s since the 147s shoot significantly higher than POA in my Berettas. Usually Gold Dots, either +P or standard. The standard pressure 124 GDs chrono at 1202 fps and the +Ps at 1220, so not a lot of difference.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    147 HST in my Glock 19 and 43 as well as my wife's S&W M&P 2.0 and Shield. Works great in all of them. And as others have said, you can actually find it for a reasonable price.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List