Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 124 or 147gr SD: which and why?

124 or 147gr SD: which and why?

Curious why folk choose which they use. I've got both and have shot both but I'm too much of a 9mm novice to know which one I shoot best because of all the variables. I suppose a ransom rest would help but I'd rather use the pesos for ammo or training.

I've transitioned to a HK VP9 from .45 1911. Doing well with 115gr target ammo but want to practice with bullet weight similar to carry weight and don't want to experiment ca$e-by-ca$e until I'm settled on what I'm packing.

Anyhoo, why do you pack what you pack?

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

I choose either Speer GD 124+p or Federal HST 147.

My preference is the GD, but it is hard to find in stock at affordable prices. HST seems easier to locate, at least for me.

The GD has a bit more zip to the recoil, but the 147 is not much different.

Either way, I will buy a couple boxes of 50 and shoot a couple magazines at 25 yds to know where it lands. Then I load it up. Generally I try and shoot it all off at least once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

My preference is the GD, but it is hard to find in stock at affordable prices.
    Is $20 for a box of 50 affordable?

https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/coll...hp-50rds-53617

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zuplex View Post
    Yes. In my experience, $20-$25 for a box good carry ammo is a good deal.
    The only way to beat that price is by the case from SGAmmo when they have a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by zuplex View Post
    That about where I’m at. I can’t afford a case, so I recently bought two boxes at www.sgammo.com for $20 apiece:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federa...le-ammo-p9hst2

It's most likely I'll shoot 10-20 rounds of carry ammo a month or so, whichever I settle on, just to confirm POA/POI. I'm mostly curious about why some choose 124 or 147. I don't think the proverbial bad guy really cares one way or another.

It's just that I'd rather invest my practice $, measured in cases, in something akin to what I carry. So the question is, why 124? Or why 147?

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    What is this stuff? I've never seen it before,is it a replacement for the 135 gr +p Tactical Bonded? How does it fare compared to 147 gr HST?

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    What is this stuff? I've never seen it before,is it a replacement for the 135 gr +p Tactical Bonded? How does it fare compared to 147 gr HST?
    Don’t know. But, it’s on the list... So I grabbed a case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    So the question is, why 124? Or why 147?
    I only carry what's on DocGKR's list.

I prefer standard pressure rounds and the only ones on the list and available the last time I stocked up were 147s.

User Tag List