I'm issued Winchester Ranger T 147gr, so this is what I carry in my issued duty pistol. It's also what I carry in my off duty and BUG (The price is right..). I participated in ballistic workshops we hosted in 2011 when adopting this round as well as a ballistic workshop we hosted last fall. Both times the 147 gr HST round was included in the test. The performance between the two rounds was close enough to call it a draw.

In 2011 we also tested the Speer 124 gr +p. Last fall we tested the Speer 147 gr G2 loading. I also included my BUG (M&P Shield) in the test to compare the 3.1" barrel vs the 4" barrel of the issued M&P9. The 147 rounds out of the Shield's short barrel performed at an acceptable level, reaffirming that there is no need to use different rounds for different size guns.

To be honest, if I were shopping for carry ammunition, I could live with any of the rounds I mentioned. If I had a gun that was ammunition specific, I would dump the gun in a heartbeat.

I prefer the recoil impulse from the 147 gr rounds vs. the 124 +p when shooting from smaller guns. But I had to shoot both side by side to notice the difference as it's not that much of a difference in reality.

Since adopting the Ranger T ammunition in 2011, we have not had a single incident in which the ammunition failed to expand or to penetrate to an acceptable level during an OIS incident. So long as the officer placed the round(s) in the appropriate location, the ammunition performed as expected.

In a year or two when I retire and issued ammunition is no longer a consideration, my carry ammunition will still be a 147 gr loading.