Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 124 or 147gr SD: which and why?

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    147 HST in my Glock 19 and 43 as well as my wife's S&W M&P 2.0 and Shield. Works great in all of them. And as others have said, you can actually find it for a reasonable price.
    I’m not sure whether it’s just me or what, but the last two times I needed a few boxes of SD ammo, I was able to find affordable Federal HST 147 much easier than Speer 124+p.

I chose 147 HST based on Dr. Roberts research, his work is incredibly detailed and all evidence based

Not opposed to the Barnes 115 either for the same reason as above but find the 147 recoils less in my Shield.

POA/POI difference between the two is not enough to treat differently.

Fed Hst 147 here. That's what shoots best in MY gun. I understand those who believe that smaller faster is as good as heavier slower.... that's an age old argument across the interwebz but I can't get this picture out of my head. Stationary target.... Hit one with a vw bug going 30mph... then hit same type of target with an 80,000 lb big rig at 30mph and see what damage there is. Seems to me physics is physics, I will always go heavy if my firearm will perform. YMMV
    Last edited by dragonmouse; 03-24-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmouse View Post
    Fed Hst 147 here. That's what shoots best in MY gun. I understand those who believe that smaller faster is as good as heavier slower.... that's an age old argument across the interwebz but I can't get this picture out of my head. Stationary target.... Hit one with a vw bug going 30mph... then hit same type of target with an 80,000 lb big rig at 30mph and see what damage there is. Seems to me physics is physics, I will always go heavy if my firearm will perform. YMMV
    124 or 147 really makes no difference in any but the most specialized circumstances. Buy whatever's on the shelf and on the list, then figure out where it hits in your gun. You also need to go back to physics class.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    I've transitioned to a HK VP9 from .45 1911. Doing well with 115gr target ammo but want to practice with bullet weight similar to carry weight and don't want to experiment ca$e-by-ca$e until I'm settled on what I'm packing.
    Back in the good old days when cops carried .357, .41, and .44 revolvers it wasn't unheard of for cops to shoot nothing but powder puff target loads, and suit up for game day with full bore magnums that they were not capable of handling. Like a lot of things with a little bit of truth behind them, things get taken way out of context. If it cycles your pistol, all the off shelf 9mm is all close enough in terms of recoil. Relative to each other 115 and 124 9mm will pretty much shoot POA/POI at 25 yards, 147gr will impact a couple inches higher. Usually they are all well within the margins of what us mere mortals require. Test, verify and remember in case you ever find yourself shooting at business cards to see who buys the first round.

Other than the 9mm part, there isn't a compelling need to match your practice and carry ammo.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Vending Machine Operator
    I exclusively carry the 124-grain +P Speer Gold Dot for the following three reasons:

1.) It's on "The List" - so it is backed by the scientific method of repeatable performance through myriad barriers
    2.) It has been on the street long enough for there to be thousands of data points about its success
    3.) It is reasonably priced for a premium self-defense loading and reasonably available through my preferred ammunition retailers, generally the superb and consistent sgammo.com (no affiliation, just a happy customer)

I would carry the 147-grain HST if I did not carry the Gold Dot, and it is in fact my fallback load if the Gold Dot dries up.

For the past year or so I have been strongly considering a universal switch to 147-grain HST. Not for any tactical timmy reason, just because it tends to run a little cheaper while still checking the same boxes as 124+P GD and will save me some money in the long run. Just seems a little arduous having to re-check all my guns with a new load.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 04-03-2018 at 01:37 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

deleted
    Last edited by blues; 04-03-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I am just nuts. In my gen 3 Glock 19 I have been carrying and using 115 grain +p+ since I got it 2005 time frame. Only reason why is because I have had to use it once and it worked. In my Glock 26 I use 147 grain HST because it works for others with no problem. I just bought 2000 rounds of 115 grain +p+ recently for the price of what I would have bought 45ACP ball ammo and I could change but I am lazy and I mostly carry my Glock 26 with 147 grain HST anyway.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I am just nuts. In my gen 3 Glock 19 I have been carrying and using 115 grain +p+ since I got it 2005 time frame. Only reason why is because I have had to use it once and it worked. In my Glock 26 I use 147 grain HST because it works for others with no problem. I just bought 2000 rounds of 115 grain +p+ recently for the price of what I would have bought 45ACP ball ammo and I could change but I am lazy and I mostly carry my Glock 26 with 147 grain HST anyway.
    My off duty G26 is loaded with XM9001, which is the +P version of the 9BPLE (+P+) or 9BP (standard pressure). It chronographs at about 1180 fps in the 26 and 1258 fps in my old G19. It is available now for about .28 cpr and is extremely accurate. It is not one of the loads on "the list", but I suspect it would do its job if I do mine.

If I could pick my own ammo Federal HST 147 would be my choice.

User Tag List