Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Px4 Sub Compact is becoming my DA/SA Glock 26/27

This is probably one of the more in depth threads about the SUBcompact PX4 that I could find. Plenty of compact & full size love going around lately. But doesn't really give a lot of information about the shoot-ability compared to a G26 or similar sub compact pistols.

I have a full size that I'm...lukewarm about. BUT we're looking to replace the wife's P225A1 with something that she might actually carry on her person. In the safe we already have the P225A1, Shield 1.0 & G43, but we're looking for something that would have a larger onboard capacity because she isn't going to carry a reload.

The local pawnshop as the PX4sc at $399; worth it or keep saving our nickles for the PX4c?

For $400, um, maybe. If it's mint and she likes it, sure. Average is $350 but then you have shipping and transfer. The subcompacts are slightly harder to come by so they're maybe $50 more than a similar condition compact and you can't even find brand new ones right now. They're a little chunky, the stealth decocking leavers will help.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 06-16-2018 at 04:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    This is probably one of the more in depth threads about the SUBcompact PX4 that I could find. Plenty of compact & full size love going around lately. But doesn't really give a lot of information about the shoot-ability compared to a G26 or similar sub compact pistols.

I have a full size that I'm...lukewarm about. BUT we're looking to replace the wife's P225A1 with something that she might actually carry on her person. In the safe we already have the P225A1, Shield 1.0 & G43, but we're looking for something that would have a larger onboard capacity because she isn't going to carry a reload.

The local pawnshop as the PX4sc at $399; worth it or keep saving our nickles for the PX4c?
    My wife carries a PX4 SubCompact 9 and really likes it. She has 7,319 rounds on it and it is very reliable. Carries like a Sub, shoots like a full size. Though we cannot account for personal taste and how it might fit someone else's hand, it is an excellent choice. Tough, durable and has a couple of advantages for concealed carry over the larger siblings.

Because of the rarity lately of finding a SubCompact 9, $399 can be a very good price. Factors would be cosmetic condition and how many rounds have been through it. If the round count is unknown, but it looks good, I would suggest replacing the slide rebound spring with a new one. If you are not sure of the spring's health, you could rack a new one at a local gun shop to compare the feel.

The SubCompact offers the toughness and shoot-ability that could make it more fun for the owner to practice a lot, be good and confident with it. There are many modifications available to personalize, as well.

$399 seems very fair to me for the pistol in good condition. Wouldn’t hurt to offer a little less to see if they have any wiggle room.

I recently lucked out and bought a complete slide assembly in 9mm on EBay. Upgraded the sights to the AmeriGlo, stealth safety levers and converted it to G type de-cock only. In 9mm it’s an amazingly soft shooter for its size especially after my experience running a few thousand 40S&Ws through it previously. My speed and accuracy improved just by swapping calibers. The 40S&W upper now resides in the safe.

Adding all of the upgrades seriously enhances the shoot-ability making it pretty much a sub compact version of the PX4 Compact Carry. At bare minimum I would change out the safety levers to the stealth type. The original ones can be painful when racking the slide over hand.

Good luck and hope you score at the pawn shop. It would be great to hear back if you do and about your experiences with it.
    Last edited by medmo; 06-16-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post

I recently lucked out and bought a complete slide assembly in 9mm on EBay. Upgraded the sights to the AmeriGlo, stealth safety levers and converted it to G type de-cock only. In 9mm it’s an amazingly soft shooter for its size especially after my experience running a few thousand 40S&Ws through it previously. My speed and accuracy improved just by swapping calibers. The 40S&W upper now resides in the safe.
    I had looked at that (so you're the one), but found someone who was selling a complete one (some retirement complex's have restrictions, due to some elderly having mental issues in their facilities). I wondered if you were the one who then posted a complete .40 slide (selling the .40 to pay for the 9mm). I am thinking about putting a black EL hammer on the nine so as to quickly identify it from the forty. (those hammer fixed my hammer bite issue)

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I had looked at that (so you're the one), but found someone who was selling a complete one (some retirement complex's have restrictions, due to some elderly having mental issues in their facilities). I wondered if you were the one who then posted a complete .40 slide (selling the .40 to pay for the 9mm). I am thinking about putting a black EL hammer on the nine so as to quickly identify it from the forty. (those hammer fixed my hammer bite issue)
    Yes, indeed I was the WINNER on that EBay 9mm top end auction. Have you checked out the EL spurless PX4 hammers? I installed the spurless on my CC and the SC. Much better for concealment. I like them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Yes, indeed I was the WINNER on that EBay 9mm top end auction. Have you checked out the EL spurless PX4 hammers? I installed the spurless on my CC and the SC. Much better for concealment. I like them a lot.
    I have them on all but my most recent purchase, as I am awaiting the black to be back in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I have them on all but my most recent purchase, as I am awaiting the black to be back in stock.
    Dang, I didn’t know black was an option. Both of mine are the Np3. Think the black would match better. Oh, well, too late for me now.

If you do get a SubCompact, I have a pinch more advise: There are many that remove the break-down lever from the pistol for field stripping. Most work with the assumption that Berettas are like other pistols. I find that in many areas. After all, on a Ruger or a 1911 you pull the break-down lever all the way out. Doing this on a SubCompact will eventually damage the spring and lever's slot.
    It should be wiggled out until it clicks into its outer retention slot, not removed all the way.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page5 post #47

First post.

Howdy,

Three years ago the Px4 Storm subcompact (.40 S&W) replaced my old Colt Detective Special for EDC. So far it's been 100% reliable with WWB 180 grain and sparing use of my costly carry loads at the range. I can only compare this pistol's recoil to my 92FS. While the Px4 Storm sc exhibits fairly sharp muzzle rise, it's not a problem. At the range, I seldom knock down plates beyond 10 yards. Works like a champ with PB mags. Someday I'd like to get the full-size Px4 Storm in .40 S&W.

User Tag List