Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Px4 Sub Compact is becoming my DA/SA Glock 26/27

SubCompact range pistol update

IAW post 48: We proceeded to fire only a couple of mags through it and checked the potential crack when we got home. We did this 4x with no increase in the line. We then upped it to 76, then 126, then 200... no increase or change. Yesterday we put 276 rounds on it in one session (including 5 round rapid mag dumps) ... no problem nor increase.

Further, I checked back in our photo records. I keep extensive photo journals of all range pistols and parts. In the folder of the total disassembly for detailed cleaning @11,400 rounds I saw that the line was already there. That means that the line or crack was there for 3,482 rounds before we noticed it. The picture shows the line to be the same then as it still is @15,665 now.

We plan to continue shooting it 200-300 rounds per session, once or twice per week. We will check it afterwards every time. So far it seems that the pistol will not be stopped by this line. It is a thick piece of metal and a thin line that is not increasing (as far as we can discern).

Another PX4 not stopped by part mishap!

Name:  Storm Tracker's Sublet.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  45.1 KB

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    [QUOTE=PX4 Storm Tracker;1114366]Another PX4 not stopped by part mishap!QUOTE]

Long may it run. I am glad to see the line has not become a crevasse.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Brief indulgence...

@gato naranja

I was looking over these posts and wanted to take a brief indulgence in a little self "excusing", so to speak. While I wrote it in a way that would make some curious how the detail oriented writer of the other PX4 related threads, such as the detailed thread on the .45 Storm would not see that crack for over 3k rounds.

The SubCompacts are my wife's. I have taught her to clean, lubricate, fully disassemble and reassemble her own PX4s (3 of them). She will do this by herself. When she does a complete disassembly and reassembly I only watch from across the table to see that she is putting things in the right place in the right sequence and function testing. So, it was just a happenstance that I looked at her disassembled frame one day and noticed the crack line right away.

So, I would like to join the popular club of those that blame things on their wives Though all things rise and fall on their leadership. I will do more frequent inspections.

20k on a SubCompact

As we continue shooting the PX4 Storm SubCompact 9mm as a range pistol we are finding that it is suprisingly tough. You would think that a SubCompact is not designed to shoot a lot for high round counts, but we like to shoot what we carry. My wife carries a PX4 SubCompact (w/9,400 rounds on it, spurless hammer, D spring, Carry levers and Talon grips) so her "stunt double" for training would be the same model (sans spurless hammer).

The SubCompact range pistol reached 20,000 rounds firing 150-200 rounds per session, twice per week. It feeds perfectly, is reliable and accurate. It handles +Ps and drills with dropping and changing mags. Mags have been dropped in mud, dirt and rocks and still work well.

It is, as many have said, a SubCompact that shoots and works like a full size service pistol. Now we also know that it can do high round counts... or at least head that way.

It will get a 100% disassembly for detailed cleaning, a new decocker lever pin and get back to work once my wife has brought her Compact PX4 to 30,000 or more (@28,300 now).

Name:  Storm Tracker's Sub .jpg
Views: 648
Size:  62.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    As we continue shooting the PX4 Storm SubCompact 9mm as a range pistol we are finding that it is suprisingly tough. You would think that a SubCompact is not designed to shoot a lot for high round counts, but we like to shoot what we carry. My wife carries a PX4 SubCompact (w/9,400 rounds on it, spurless hammer, D spring, Carry levers and Talon grips) so her "stunt double" for training would be the same model (sans spurless hammer).

The SubCompact range pistol reached 20,000 rounds firing 150-200 rounds per session, twice per week. It feeds perfectly, is reliable and accurate. It handles +Ps and drills with dropping and changing mags. Mags have been dropped in mud, dirt and rocks and still work well.

It is, as many have said, a SubCompact that shoots and works like a full size service pistol. Now we also know that it can do high round counts... or at least head that way.

It will get a 100% disassembly for detailed cleaning, a new decocker lever pin and get back to work once my wife has brought her Compact PX4 to 30,000 or more (@28,300 now).
    I am curious- how has the Subcompact been doing, if I may ask? I have relegated my own pet 9mm SC to the "carry" slot and another to "range duty." In either event, these are not going to be high round count pistols, comparatively speaking. Due to a bit of retrofitting and reassessment, the only things not factory on them now are carry levers and 12# hammer springs; I really wish I had NP3'd the small bits on more than just the one.
    gn

Solid Subs

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I am curious- how has the Subcompact been doing, if I may ask? I have relegated my own pet 9mm SC to the "carry" slot and another to "range duty." In either event, these are not going to be high round count pistols, comparatively speaking. Due to a bit of retrofitting and reassessment, the only things not factory on them now are carry levers and 12# hammer springs; I really wish I had NP3'd the small bits on more than just the one.
    The two PX4 SubCompact 9s that we have are doing quite well! The EDC SubCompact has 10,000 rounds on it and has never had an issue. The range "stunt double" SubCompact has 25,750 rounds through it with no problems at all. We were just putting some +P Federal HSTs 124 grain through it the other day. They were old and battered rounds and all ignited and performed perfectly.

The D spring has good consistent reliability, as should your 12# spring. It is tough and accurate, consistent and reliable. It shows no signs of wearing down.

Not as Solid of a Sub as I had hoped?

As I have mentioned, my wife has and confidently carries a PX4 Storm SubCompact 9. It has 10,000 rounds on it and is doing well.

I have also mentioned that we have a duplicate as a “stunt double” for range use and training. We do this with all of our EDC PX4s.

For example: I carry a PX4 .45 and it only has 3,000 rounds on it. Its stunt doubles have 136,220 rounds on one and 43,600 on the other. I have a PX4 .45 SD with 37,428 rounds on it and it is just fine. Our Compact 9 has 31,275 rounds and is problem free.

The SubCompact does not have the tough and durable rotating barrel system like the other Storms due to size and cycle length needed.

@25,998 rounds the SubCompact stunt double broke. It is a major break in the frame and cannot be fixed or replaced as a part. The PX4 is tough enough that no injury or even an almost, it just failed to function after firing the round. The barrel did not disconnect from the slide in cycling, as there was nothing holding it in place.

This is a healthy SubCompact locking mechanism.

Name:  Storm Tracker's Sub (1).jpg
Views: 304
Size:  23.5 KB

This is the damaged one.

Name:  Storm Tracker's Sub (2).jpg
Views: 306
Size:  16.7 KB

This is the part that was found afterwards.

Name:  Storm Tracker's Sub (3).jpg
Views: 303
Size:  18.7 KB
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 02-15-2022 at 04:39 PM.

Is it still under warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by star-dot-star View Post
    Is it still under warranty?
    Unfortunately not. It is over 10 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    @25,998 rounds the SubCompact stunt double broke. It is a major break in the frame and cannot be fixed or replaced as a part. The PX4 is tough enough that no injury or even an almost, it just failed to function after firing the round. The barrel did not disconnect from the slide in cycling, as there was nothing holding it in place.
    Disappointing.

I have wondered for some time how well a lot of relatively new handguns are going to fare once they hit 30,000 rounds (I choose that number simply because it has - for whatever reason - been a yardstick). Chuck Taylor's Glock 17 aside, an awful lot of semiautos regardless of size have required intensive surgery or transplants to even hit 50,000 rounds.

Back when I was a teenager and people were still driving Ramblers, I did not personally know anyone locally who had put even - this is a guess, but probably not far off - 25,000 rounds through a centerfire pistol without breaking something major on it.
    gn

User Tag List