Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Px4 Sub Compact is becoming my DA/SA Glock 26/27

The Px4 Sub Compact is becoming my DA/SA Glock 26/27

In early 2017 I purchased a Beretta Px4 Compact Carry after reading the post by Ernest Langdon “The Px4 Compact might be my DA/SA Glock 19.” I’ve been learning, toting, shooting and enjoying this pistol ever since. It’s been the most easiest pistol for me to shoot fast and accurately. The Px4 Compact Carry is truly a more excellent DA/SA version of a Glock 19.

There are many reasons that people carry a Glock 26/27 rather than a Glock G19, (pistol size, portability, hand size, concealability, etc.). The Beretta Sub Compact can be a DA/SA Glock 26/27 and then some. The Beretta Sub Compact is almost an illusion, as it looks much larger than it actually is and even feels/shoots larger than it actually is. Here are the comparison numbers:

...........................G26/G27............Px4 Sub Compact
    OAL.....................6.29”..................6.2 ”
    OAH....................4.17”..................4.8”
    Grip/Slide Width...1.18”..................1.2”
    Weight................21.7 ounces.........26.1 ounces
    Mag Capacity........10/9...................13/10

See the chart below for visual comparison.

The primary difference is the height with the Px4 Sub Compact measuring .63’ taller than the G26/27. Since the grip on the G26/27 is so short, abbreviated and not “grippable” especially when shooting most owners add magazine grip extensions like a Pearce adaptor. The smallest one adds 5/8” of an inch to the height of the G26/27 where it then matches up with the Px4 Sub Compact height wise: 4.795” versus 4.8”.

I’ve heard it said that the added length of the magazine extensions on the G26/27 really doesn’t affect concealability because the length is added to front of the grip and not the heel of the grip. That is true. The rear of the Px4 Sub Compact slide is very radiused, (especially with Ernest Langdon’s spurless hammer), and isn’t elongated, square and blocky like the rear of the G26/27 slide. Both of these qualities help reduce printing when concealed so in my book it’s a wash between them.

I have added all of the Px4 Compact Carry upgrades to the Px4 Sub Compact converting it to one extremely sweet shooting pistol. The upgrades I have added are the AmeriGlo Sights, stealth de-cocker lever, extended magazine release, Langdon Tactical 11# hammer spring, Langdon Tactical spurless hammer and the Talon rubberized grip.

I have over 800 rounds through the pistol with no failures. It have 2xl glove sized hands and this pistol fits my grip really well. About ¾ of my pinky rests on the standard magazine base plate which is radiused upward. This upward radius helps my grip as it feels like it pushes my grip up getting the highest possible hand grip. With the Langdon Tactical 11# hammer spring, spurless hammer and a little polish on internals the DA is averaging 7.3lbs and the SA is at 3.5lbs. I haven’t completed any bench rest accuracy shooting with it and just realized that all of my shooting has been at 7 yards. 40 S&W Win Silvertip 155gr has shot the best with 1.5’ groups off hand achieved easily and hitting right about point of aim at seven yards. I need to take the time out and bench rest some groups at both 7 and 25 yards. For every reason I have found the Beretta Px4 Compact Carry extremely shootable I have found this “Compact Carry” upgraded Px4 Sub Compact close to the same but it in a smaller package.

An advantage of the Px4 Sub Compact over the G26/27 is the rail. The Px4 Sub Compact quickly converts from a subcompact EDC pistol to a night stand/home defense pistol with a tac light and full sized magazine with the Beretta designed bumper. See picture below. The Glock 26/27 doesn’t convert as well as this from a double stack sub compact EDC to a home defense pistol.

There isn’t a huge variety of holsters available for the Px4 Sub Compact. With kydex holsters and a little heat gun magic I’ve converted two pretty easily.

For years my relationship with striker fired pistols was much like an arranged marriage. I shot & carried striker fired pistols proficiently, functionally and continued to do so thinking that was what I was supposed to do. It was loveless and pretty much void of any passion.

The emergence of the Px4 Compact Carry has changed things up for me. I’m back enjoying life with DA/SA pistols again. If someone is looking for a double stack sub compact pistol in SA/DA configuration the Px4 Sub Compact is an excellent option. A Px4 Sub Compact with the “Compact Carry” upgrades is a most excellent option.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by medmo; 03-09-2018 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Hopefully fix the tabs. It didn't like the tabs. You can either tab or surf soldier. I'm better at surfing.

Front Sight Differences CC & SC

Forgot to add some info on the differences between the Compact and Sub Compact front sights. The dovetail is the same but the length of the dovetail is shorter on the Sub Compact. In order to fit the AmeriGlo Compact Carry in the dovetail of the Sub Compact and not have it stick out both sides I needed to match it up with a little belt sanding. The plan was to get a bottle of Oxpho-Blue and touch up both sides of the belt sanded dovetail and temporarily put a markerized, (black permanent marker), finish on it. The markerized finish seems to be holding up so far and will try and remember to pick up the Oxpho-Blue.

The top sight in the pic is the AmeriGlo Compact Carry front sight and the bottom is the standard Sub Compact front sight.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by medmo; 03-09-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Hammertime

The Px4 Sub Compact is becoming my DA/SA Glock 26/27

The PX4C felt and shot more like a 26 than a 19 for me.

Nice assessment.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 03-09-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post

Nice assessment.
    With a pinky grip mag base extender, correct? Shooting my G27 with SD loads minus the Pearce grip mag bases didn’t work so well. It wasn’t very “grippable” and I would need to adjust after each round fired.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    With a pinky grip mag base extender, correct? Shooting my G27 with SD loads minus the Pearce grip mag bases didn’t work so well. It wasn’t very “grippable” and I would need to adjust after each round fired.
    With or without. I seem to be one of the rare people who don’t shoot the PX4C very well.

I struggled with sight alignment and pulling it off target during trigger pull with the short barrel and slide when I had one.

Site Supporter
    With or without. I seem to be one of the rare people who don’t shoot the PX4C very well.

I struggled with sight alignment and pulling it off target during trigger pull with the short barrel and slide when I had one.
    You and me both. Which reminds me, I have a WTS ad to write this weekend.

Vending Machine Operator

Nice assessment.
    True for me also. I enjoy my PX4C a lot but I'm definitely gonna put the G19 a notch higher in my ability to effectively fight with the gun. Bigger hands make the PX4C a little bit slower in rapid manipulations.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    True for me also. I enjoy my PX4C a lot but I'm definitely gonna put the G19 a notch higher in my ability to effectively fight with the gun. Bigger hands make the PX4C a little bit slower in rapid manipulations.
    When you guys are saying Px4C are you referring to the compact or subcompact? I’m confused because there is a significant size difference between the Px4 Compact and a G26. My hands are larger than average and haven’t found in my experience that it’s a hindrance with the Beretta or the Glock. I used a G19 primarily when I was shooting IDPA so have lots of trigger time with the Glock. Is the double action trigger the source of bother?

Three different Px4 sizes:

Name:  5D6B2611-B32D-4912-BEF8-FE767355A8A4.jpg
Views: 4966
Size:  29.2 KB

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    When you guys are saying Px4C are you referring to the compact or subcompact? I’m confused because there is a significant size difference between the Px4 Compact and a G26. My hands are larger than average and haven’t found in my experience that it’s a hindrance with the Beretta or the Glock. I used a G19 primarily when I was shooting IDPA so have lots of trigger time with the Glock. Is the double action trigger the source of bother?

Three different Px4 sizes:

Name:  5D6B2611-B32D-4912-BEF8-FE767355A8A4.jpg
Views: 4966
Size:  29.2 KB
    PX4 Compact. I have never held a sub compact. The G26 (and G43!) slide and sight radius are longer than the PX4C, even though the grip is shorter.

PX4 Compact. I have never held a sub compact. The G26 (and G43!) slide and sight radius are longer than the PX4C, even though the grip is shorter.
    That is really interesting. It's pretty deceptive as the actual size of the pistols are so different. I ran a few calculations on the deflection/sight radius comparing the G26, (SR - 5.39") versus the Compact Carry, (SR - 5.2") at 21 feet with 1" deflection.

G26: (1"/252") * 5.39" = .0213"
    Compact Carry: (1"/252") * 5.2" = .0206"

What that calculation says is that when the sights on a Compact Carry are misaligned by .0206" of an inch the bullet impact from target center will be off 1" from center when shooting at 21'. When the sights on the G26 are misaligned by .0213" of an inch the bullet impact from the target center will be 1" off from center at 21'. That is a difference of .0007". For the type of shooting I do with these types of pistols it really is a wash. I'm generally practicing at 7 yards or less and my target is an 8" circle or a 3"x5" index card. My sight picture isn’t that refined with this type of shooting and my focus is the tip of the front sight. The Px4 Sub Compact sight radius is 4.8' which translates to .0190" sight deflection equaling 1" drift from target center at 7 yards.
    Last edited by medmo; 03-10-2018 at 01:53 PM.

User Tag List