Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Px4 Sub Compact is becoming my DA/SA Glock 26/27

SubCompact range pistol update

Our PX4 Storm SubCompact 9mm has reached 14,882 rounds of reliable, consistent function. The 11# hammer spring has 11,982 rounds with no light strikes using different types of inexpensive ammo.

At 14,882 we noticed that the ejector was broken off. We ordered a new hammer unit frame.

Name:  Sublet breakage @14,882 8-5-20 (7).jpg
Views: 762
Size:  34.0 KB

The break-down lever broke off during a shooting session. We had a spare ready.

Name:  Sublet breakage @14,882 8-5-20 (5).jpg
Views: 733
Size:  45.2 KB

We also noticed a line forming on the locking frame. We will be watching it carefully to be sure it is not a crack forming. That metal is quite thick, so we will keep shooting and watching.

Name:  Sublet breakage @14,882 8-5-20 (8).jpg
Views: 719
Size:  47.0 KB

Seems like a low round count to be seeing issues vs. the compact and full sized PX4's.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oss117 View Post
    Seems like a low round count to be seeing issues vs. the compact and full sized PX4's.
    The sub Compact is not a "true" PX4 as it doesn't use the rotating barrel lock up so it's hard to make a direct comparison. .

Quote Originally Posted by oss117 View Post
    That was my thought as well. It made me consider if Beretta did not figure the SubCompact to be shot as much as a service pistol. Perhaps they had in mind that it would be carried more than shot.

Other than testing ~5 rounds of +P defense ammo, there were no +P or even NATO rounds fired in this pistol.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 08-06-2020 at 09:01 PM.

I wish I knew if it was me reading between the lines, or if I saw something before. When they had the C and D models, that were targeted towards law enforcement, I believe the subcompact was referred to as a backup pistol.

I get that it's a different pistol with a different operating mechanism than the compact and full size PX4. I suspect the short barrel tilting at relatively high angles (vs. a longer barrel) is causing different stress vectors. In fairness, 15,000 rounds is more than most consumer subcompact pistols will ever see. For comparisons sake it would be interesting to know how long a Glock 26 would last before a similar component failure.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    We also noticed a line forming on the locking frame. We will be watching it carefully to be sure it is not a crack forming. That metal is quite thick, so we will keep shooting and watching.

Name:  Sublet breakage @14,882 8-5-20 (8).jpg
Views: 719
Size:  47.0 KB
    Good catch. The ejector and the takedown latch would not get me too worked up, but a fracture in that insert would be another matter.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Walk, don't run

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Good catch. The ejector and the takedown latch would not get me too worked up, but a fracture in that insert would be another matter.
    Thanks. The plan is to walk it forward instead of running it hard each week. My wife carries a PX4 SubCompact as EDC. It has 9,400 rounds on it.

Instead of 300 rounds per session with the SubCompact range gun (in the pictures) she will use her PX4 Compact for the hard use. It has 26,400 rounds on it and shows no sign of tiring.

She will shoot the SubCompact range gun for about one magazine at a time every other week or once a month to stay in touch with the feel of the pistol that she carries. She can do drawing practice and snap capping with it, as well.

This way, it will last longer and that potential crack can be checked every 14 or so rounds rather than every 300 rounds. This will minimize the risk of something catastrophic happening at the range and going unnoticed until it is a danger. It is also possible that it will continue for a long time with no further damage with this plan.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 08-07-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Thanks. The plan is to walk it forward instead of running it hard each week. My wife carries a PX4 SubCompact as EDC. It has 9,400 rounds on it.
    Have you shared this info with Beretta? I’m curious of their response.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    Have you shared this info with Beretta? I’m curious of their response.

I have not shared this with Beretta. I have not gotten good responses from Beretta on anything that has a high round count. At best, they might have me send it in for them to look at. In the current climate it might take months before I even hear back from them on it.

If I send it back and they replace the locking block, then I won't know if the pistol can go past 15,000 and I'll have to do that all over again. If I continue to walk it forward and then find that the apparent crack is not spreading, then we can increase rounds and find out if indeed that can be ignored and it can be a long-term pistol.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 08-09-2020 at 11:27 AM.

User Tag List