Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gun safety win on the horizon for GOP-controlled Senate

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BCG View Post
    So the antis are calling it "gun safety" instead of "gun control" (and have been for about the past five or so years). As others have pointed out, they're much better at setting the language to frame the debate than we are.

Perhaps we should stop using the phrase "gun control" start calling it "gun-owner control".

Just a thought.
    There's always the truth: "cultural cleansing"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Ironic. It's usually those with the guns that are the purveyors of such.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Ironic. It's usually those with the guns that are the purveyors of such.
    After they take them away from everyone else.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I am not a fan of Cornyn. I liked his rulings and opinions when he was Chief Justice of the Texas State Supreme Court. But he has definitely yielded to the pressure of Washington, and is not nearly the pro-2A jurist he once was.

He needs to watch his backside the next time he is in a primary, and remember how Ted Cruz became a US Senator.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    After they take them away from everyone else.
    Good point, Josh.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    * sigh *

Passing national concealed carry reciprocity in the Senate would require 60 votes. There are only 51 GOP senators now, and some, especially from purple states, are truly gun agnostic. Even if you got all 51 Republicans, you'd need 9 Dems/Independents to vote to break a likely Dem filibuster. While you maybe maybe could get Joe Manchin to cross over and vote with the Republicans, I can't conceive of 8 other Dems also doing that.
    Last edited by oldtexan; 03-14-2018 at 09:57 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    Passing national concealed carry reciprocity in the Senate would require 60 votes. There are only 51 GOP senators now, and some, especially from purple states, are truly gun agnostic. Even if you got all 51 Republicans, you'd need 9 Dems to vote to break a likely Dem filibuster. While you maybe maybe could get Joe Manchin to cross over and vote with the Republicans, I can't conceive of 8 other Dems also doing that.
    You know Kamala Harris secretly wants to vote yes on reciprocity.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    Passing national concealed carry reciprocity in the Senate would require 60 votes. There are only 51 GOP senators now, and some, especially from purple states, are truly gun agnostic. Even if you got all 51 Republicans, you'd need 9 Dems/Independents to vote to break a likely Dem filibuster. While you maybe maybe could get Joe Manchin to cross over and vote with the Republicans, I can't conceive of 8 other Dems also doing that.
    They want Fix NICS. We want National Reciprocity. Why should we help pass Fix NICS without getting something in return? I say add National Reciprocity to the Senate bill just like the House bill had. If the dems want Fix NICS then they have to take National Reciprocity with it. I think most of us would be okay with Fix NICS failing without National Reciprocity. I'm just sick of giving something for nothing, time after time. Let's at least TRY to get something good out of "compromise" this time.

There's a good chance that the republicans lose many seats come the midterms so this might actually be our only chance during the Trump administration to get something positive passed for gun rights.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 03-14-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Why should we help pass Fix NICS without getting something in return?
    I'm guessing here...

If we stand in front of Fix NICS as a standalone bill, we get egg on our face for not supporting something we all (most?) agree is good.. eg. Putting some teeth and resources into getting ineligible people into the database. Kinda like the D's looked like fools for rejecting the DACA deal because The Donald wanted Vias Lottery and Chain Migration fixes in the bill too.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List