Thread: Problem with Blade-Tech OWB Glock 34 Holster

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Problem with Blade-Tech OWB Glock 34 Holster

I have a Blade-Tech OWB holster (I believe "Signature Series"...?) for my Glock 34 I'm having a peculiar issue with. Four out of five draws, the pistol easily comes clean with just the right amount of tension. About every fifth draw, the gun binds in the holster and will come out only with vicious, repeated jerks.

The first time it happened, I thought, "Oh wait, I've got to defeat the retention mechanism" followed by, "Oh wait, there is no retention mechanism." I've thought about trying to loosen the tension, but I don't want it too loose, and it doesn't seem like a tension issues anyways.

My understanding was that Blade-Tech usually made quality kit, and I've had no issues with their holsters in the past. Any idea what's happening and how to fix?

I would have assumed drawing from an OWB holster would be idiot-proof, but that's proven an unsafe assumption to make when I'm trying things....
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Not sure if the Signature series is their low price OWB? I typically use the $69 original OWB, often on a BOSS hangar. Between my wife and I, we have dozens of them. Over the 20 plus years I have been using BT holsters, I would estimate 1 in 3 doesn’t fit properly and needs a trip back.

Try loosening the retention screws slightly and see if that helps. There may also be differences between Gen 4 and previous model Glock 34 dimensions, as I seem to recall that coming up when the Gen 4 arrived.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Problem with Blade-Tech OWB Glock 34 Holster

It may not be the holster. Are you using a rigid belt and hanger system? If not, an off-axis draw attempt will cause the symptoms you report.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-09-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It may not be the holster. Are you using a rigid belt and hanger system? If not, an off-axis draw attempt will cause the symptoms you report.
    In this regard, I find an OWB holster to be much more sensitive than AIWB and IWB to slight changes in angle, in making your draw work.

It's mounted directly to the belt, and not hanging. There is some play in how it sits however, but I haven't been able to consistently recreate the issue regardless of tweaking the draw angle.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Are you using a Tek Loc or loops? Belt stiff or floppy? Have a look inside for grooves showing where the gun is binding when your draw isn’t smooth. I’ve used FrogLube paste inside competition holsters that were too grabby.

Are you using a Tek Loc or loops? Belt stiff or floppy?
    Tek-Lok. It's on a Brokos Battle Belt / Cobra Belt, so offset from the body, but snug. If the offset angle is what's causing the issue, then I might be stuck getting a different holster, because this is my carbine class setup.

I’ve used FrogLube paste inside competition holsters that were too grabby.
    How do you keep the lube from gooping the gun? I'm trying to set this up for a class, so I've got to consider weapon manipulation.

If the inside of the body of the holster is dusty/dirty, that can interact with all the surface area of a long slide Glock to slow your draw. A little water to clean the kydex holster and a light lube of the slide of the Glock can slick things up.

The longer the gun the more a sliiiightly off axis draw will drag. That's my guess as to what's happening as I've observed similar things with a 6" slide.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Tek-Lok. It's on a Brokos Battle Belt / Cobra Belt, so offset from the body, but snug. If the offset angle is what's causing the issue, then I might be stuck getting a different holster, because this is my carbine class setup.

How do you keep the lube from gooping the gun? I'm trying to set this up for a class, so I've got to consider weapon manipulation.
    I use very little frog paste, and then wipe it with a cloth. It seems to make new kydex have less stiction.

I have never had a Tek-Lok work well for me. Too much rotational freedom. Try switching to the wider loops?

Personally, I'm really picky about holsters. I've scrapped holsters because:
    -I didn't like the feel of the retention click
    -There was a tiny amount of looseness when the gun was holstered
    -The draw didn't feel right
    -The front sight scraped
    -Bunch of other reasons

After you've eliminated the other options it may just be time to move on...
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-09-2018 at 06:15 PM.

User Tag List